Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Culebra Tiny Home Tuesday on Wednesday

First, just because. It's been grey here for five days, I lost a day, again. It's still Tuesday.

This morning when I looked out the window of housesitting hill, I was almost blinded by the light. That big yellow one we so often take for granted was coming on stage with a show.

I know you!
 Dogs and a kitty were clamoring for breakfast and that first flying out the door. By the time they'd finished their morning ablutions, the universe had moved to the rim shot.


Yes, there are still clouds and a very good chance of more rain, but it is lovely when the-usually-expected-even-if-you-dearly-appreciate-it becomes even more welcome.

Onward!

Tiny homes. I think one of the big reasons that tiny homes on wheels are so alluring to the imagination is the potential of wander. A summer trip all year long if you like, your home a turtle's shell of safety where e're you choose to lay your head. But I think it is still rare, those who choose, for long lengths of time, to zoosh the tarmacs of their chosen countries. When we read about them, what can we do but applaud? Peter Pan flies!

For the rest, and for those travelers who will come to rest, having a tiny home is in part about choosing where you want to wake up. What lies out that door will very important, because tiny means (and I speak from long, long, long experience - I guess I've been living tiny on and off, mostly on, for about 40 years now - rehabbed single garages, boats - and frankly it's too taxing at the moment to think of all the places I've lived, just trust me on it) being outside, easily. Or it does for me.

Making your outside liveable (the idea below works inside too, obviously) makes it comfortable, the world you've chosen to surround yourself with your true living room. Living Room.

Just like that, it is also about stuff. I could (and usually do) go on about that, but I'll get right to - ha, you say as you go get another coffee or cocktail or night cap, depending on your time zone - the reason of today's post. One of them.

Pallets. What springs to mind? Clunky furniture that should be in a dorm room and then abandoned for Ikea treasures, uniquely yours because you made the pillows? Don't get me wrong, I love certain Ikea items and wandering the giant store(s) is fun. The last time I did that was about 30 years ago but I hear they are still the same but better. I have looked at the...ok, I digress.

Pallet bar
This is such a cool pallet piece. You could do so many different things with it, fast, with scrap. You can leave it raw, you can stain it, you can paint it. You don't have to take it apart (and if you ever have taken one apart, you will understand why that's a big deal). A hammer and nails, or a drill/screwdriver and screws, a sander - some of the prettiest wood you'll ever see is pallet wood, think about where it comes from and while they are probably destroying some place beautiful, what's done is done, you fight the good fight but enjoy making it have some purpose - some free time and wa lalala, look what you did!

A wooden shutter and a piece of glass for a top.
While the home where this piece lives isn't tiny, this idea is right in keeping with simplicity and function, two elements I think are basic to tiny home living. Even fancy flourishes for beauty's sake  have a function, oftentimes strength, but if the function is for pleasing the eye and the spirit, isn't that just as important if it can be done? Sure it is.

Another shutter for an end piece - it looks good, and gives stability as well.
You could use two pallets and bridge them with a bigger piece of wood, ply, T1-11, a slab from your giant fallen tree. I forgot to look at how or if it is attached to the concrete post. Oops. But you might not have a post, you'll figure it out.

You get the idea. Or you don't.

It's a simple one. I like simple. In case you are just twigging to that fact.

Have a timeless Tuesday. Do something terrific!

6dcaa64326994a8dd3b76aa1186d4f4c58c904f04235473ec8

No comments:

Post a Comment