Saturday, December 7, 2013

Lions and Tigers and Electronics! Oh My!

I have this warning on my computer that the drive is dying. Not my own drive, indeed not! But just a head's up that I might be out of commission for awhile, depending on dictating conditions. My brilliant computer guru gets on island the 20th and can hopefully fix the nix. It may not die before then; I hope not. But if it does, fair warning.

In the meantime, this was Friday afternoon and early evening for me, after a week of cabin fever it was time to enjoy outside, with music. Which means Friday afternoon at Dinghy Dock. The winter people are trickling in and it is oh so good a time for hugs and catching up. How was your sail in from down island? How was your summer on land far away? The music played on. Soon there will be more winter folk back and I look forward to smiling with you all.

Grady took on the break time, a gentle surprise. I hadn't heard him play for a long time. It was good.

Welcome back, Sue and Michael, Anne and Ray. Sorry my chickens are molting, no eggs for anyone yet.

I took this because of the line of dinghies. Then I realized what I was seeing.

This beautiful sailing dinghy, a Herreschoff design and a Seagull engine, which I love for its simplicity and foreverness. This boat is perfect. Cheers to the owner for keeping its beauty intact.

Oh what a good night. Yes, the wind was blowing and we all felt the chill but the sky was clear and the smiles were warm. And dry. Dry is big right now.

Two Doug's and a Mariel with Grady for a little bit more.
It was time to go, early as is my usual. But Jorge was sitting in his shop upstairs and I'd not seen him for awhile, so we stopped to chat a minute. I hadn't seen the shop for awhile either. Talking away, my glance went into the alcove and there was Don Monchin. I was, as British Karen would say, gobsmacked. Jorge had captured the truth of him, the powerful strength of this man I was impressed by and respected long before I knew his huge place in the Culebra landscape.

So soon after learning about the death of Nelson Mandela, I could not help but compare these two men. Men who fought for the freedom of the land they loved. Mandela a country, Don Monchin an island. Both suffering the wrongness of power gone out of control, both with courage and conviction enough to lead a people to freedom. Most of the world will never know about our hero, but we know. The United States government knows. One man who led a people to victory against the United States, its Navy, its wrong governing over a commonwealth it should have been protecting and instead was working to decimate for its own warmongering advantage.

If you are interested in reading the story in English, the book Target Culebra by Richard Copaken is available for purchase. There are other books in Spanish that tell other facets of the story, one from Don Monchin himself. If you are interested, let me know and I'll get the information you want. A real life David and Goliath story well worth knowing about.
All of this hit me when I saw this work of Jorge's. It is a powerful thing. Thanks, Jorge, for letting me share this with those who care about Culebra and read my little bit of bread tossed on the water.

We moved along to Susie's and I forgot to take a photo of our shrimp appetizer which was delicious. Of course. You'll just have to go and order it for yourselves.

The moon was crazy bright and Venus below her was brilliant. The photo I took of them together was terrible. But I did get this one. Venus had gone below my sightline, but the moon, oh, she was singing.



We haven't been able to see the planets and stars for over a week now; it was wonderful to say Hello, Orion, my old friend!

Have a superlative Saturday. Do something strong.

4 comments:

  1. The sailing tender was built at the Harvey W. Smith Watercraft Center in Beaufort NC. Traditional wooden sailing and rowing vessels are made here by folks from around the world. It is a pretty special place - and - btw - the one here in Culebra is tender to Capt. Mike Brown's schooner, the lovely Russamee.
    mariel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info, Mariel, I was totally captivated with it and I know you have a special appreciation as well. Now I'll be going to check out the bread crumb trail.

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to sit at that blue bar at Happy Hour for a G&T! Countdown clock just clicked, 89 days 5 hours 10 minutes..see you then.

    ReplyDelete