Friday, December 20, 2013

Free Range Friday ~ Venison & Lobster & Friends

I wasn't planning on going to dinner. In fact I was going over to say I couldn't come over. With no phone signal and only a short walk away, it wasn't hard to do. My friends had come in from up North, staying in the home they used to own, which had its own weird goodness; the same but not the same. But I'd see them later in the week, I just had to let them know. That's what I thought.

The girls I've known since they were well shorter than me, the parents I've known as long, not changing much we've all stayed the pretty much the same height with shifts of time making some changes in all of us. The talk still flows easily and flowed into dinner, the dinner I wasn't going to eat. But the girls brought me a little plate 'just in case' I changed my mind (the last time we'd sat in that table space together they'd made me a birthday cake covered with cashews, because once, when house sitting for them, I'd eaten all the cashews and felt terrible, sort of, about it and we can laugh at each other as easily as with).

The wine was crisp. But. Did I want to try the venison burger they'd brought down? From the deer Dad had just recently shot with his new crossbow? Of course I did. Did I want some of the lobster they'd just caught today? I passed, it was legal but there wasn't much there (it was legal, just not jumbo) and I technically wasn't eating dinner. Maybe they'll catch another before they go and I'll say yes. The homemade red coleslaw salad was just right to offset the burger while a bowl of lovely sauteed vegetables went untasted by me. I know I'll regret that later. I almost regret it now. I'm still full.

The girls are in college and doing well - I felt like the auntie who could curse and laugh and let them know how proud I am of them all at the same time, also knowing that growing up hasn't been a piece of cake, even cake with cashews on it. One, my heart's own wild child, one her shadow gentler side, both smart and funny and passionate in their own ways of moving onto the stage of adulthood, one running, one walking. It's a good progression, even with the occasional stubbed toes. These parents do their job.

Some meals can't be reproduced, even if you have exactly the same ingredients on the table. Though I do know a few people who have fresh venison and fresh lobster on their table not infrequently, it isn't the same table or the same friends. Though I know other friends with growing children that I dearly love, none are these. 


photo credit - unknown
Just in case you do come across some venison or spiny lobster, by your own kill or catch or shared with you, here is a good way to make a burger from the deer (3 or 4 minutes on each side, deer cooks quickly) and a special dish from the lobster. I'm personally a fan of plain boiled lobster and melted butter, but I've had it and made it many ways, most of them good. If you're more patient than I usually am, save the lobster shells and use the meat for a bisque. Never mind, I'll just give you a recipe. Don't forget to thank the deer and/or the lobster.


Adapted From a Bunch of Recipes Including How I've made My Own Lobster Bisque 

2 medium size boiled lobsters
2 1/2 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup dry sherry **** this is an important ingredient! if you don't drink, the alcohol cooks off but if you don't trust that, skip it. It won't be the same but it will still be good.
1 tablespoon butter/1 tablespoon olive oil
3 more tablespoons butter
1 sliced onion
4 ribs celery with leaves
1 clove
1 bay leaf
6 peppercorns
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
3 cups milk
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup cream
1 tsp. smoked or plain paprika 
minced parsley for garnish


Boil lobsters (how do I boil a lobster, MJ? Have a big pot of water boiling. Put in the live lobster - or not dead long - and wait for it to turn red, which means it's done). Let it cool and remove the meat. 
The easiest way to get to the meat is cleave the lobster in half longways, on the belly side. The most meat is in the tail but there is a lot more to pick out of the body and tentacles. I learned to use gloves to do this; spiny lobsters are called spiny for a reason and I have the scars to prove it. 
Chop up the tail meat and set it aside with the picked meat.
Saute the onion and celery in that 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil, just until softened, not browned.
In a large pot, crush the shells (they don't have to be finely crushed, just not big pieces). Add the chicken stock, onion, celery, cloves, bay leaf and peppercorns. Simmer these ingredients for 30 minutes. Strain the stock and set it aside.
Melt the 3 T. of butter. Using a whisk, stir in the flour, then gradually add the milk, sherry, a 1/2 cup of the stock and nutmeg. Season to taste with salt and pepper. When the sauce is smooth and has begun to boil, add the lobster and the stock. Simmer the bisque at medium heat, covered, for 5 minutes. 
In a small saucepan, warm the cream, but do not let it boil. Turn off the heat and stir in the cream. 
Serve at once with minced parsley and paprika for color.
Makes 6 cups.

You'll probably want half of this for yourself, immediately, so you might want to make extra. It's rich, delicious and addictive. Buen provecho!

I didn't bring my camera and if I had, I don't think I would have remembered to use it. Sometimes, that's how it goes and that's not a bad thing. Bring good friends to the table and you can have grilled cheese sandwiches, it doesn't matter. 

Have a fresh Friday. Do something with your friendships.




No comments:

Post a Comment