Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Tiny Home Tuesday

First though, remember that tonight is the full moon, brought to you by the Universe, for free! Called the Strawberry Moon, Honey Moon or Rose Moon in the Southern Hemisphere, the Cold Moon or Long Night Moon in the Northern Hemisphere. If it is anything like the moon last night, it could also be called the Blazing Your Eyes Out Moon. 


I wasn't expecting to see the moon because clouds have been getting in our way on and off for days now. Sunny, cloudy, rainy repeat. But glancing up from my book, there she was, front and center, framed by my window, my own moon movie. Call her what you will, howl if you choose. Just give her a tip of your hat, where ever you watch the show. Dancing in her light is not mandatory, but quite acceptable.

~~~~~~~~~

I'm not sure what tiny home website brought this place to my attention, bad me, but of the many I've looked at this week, it was the one that stuck in my head. I think it might be the stair case. I'm pretty sure it is the stair case. And the upstairs porch.

This isn't a tiny home on the scale of barely 200 square feet, it's probably more like 400, which is still small to many. If it looks a little anonymous as to decor, that's because it's a rental. I'm not shilling for the guy, I just really like the house.

A rooftop porch off the bedroom? What's not to like? Okay, I'd cover the front entryway porch, especially with the French doors. Especially in a rainy place.



Trey ceilings, a million windows. Look at all of these windows and the light!
The bathroom, for me, is a fail. Shower/toilet combos I get, on boats and RV's, but in cold country, in a house, not so much.  Especially when I've seen homes half this size with showers and sometimes soaking tubs. It doesn't stop me from liking the house, just 'what I would have done' thoughts.

I cropped the above as a close up because when I first looked at this I didn't realize that the backsplash was actually the side of the stairs, something I like a 
lot
 more than a ladder. Personal preference maybe, but definitely safer and more comfortable for the feet. A railing would be good, I can imagine a beautiful branch there. 

The cleverness of making the stairs part of the kitchen 'wall' is a pretty brilliant touch. The oven is a convection/baking/microwave combo and there is only a one burner stovetop but that could be an adjunct to a wood burning stove, which, wa la, there just happens to be, but it could be a cook stove instead of just a heating stove. Overall, I really like the idea here, but  I'd give more room to the kitchen for counters and shelving, stealing from the dining area, but that's me

The stairs wrap around the kitchen, taking you to the sleeping area.
Plenty of room and plenty of light and french doors to the balcony. Coziness.
That's an outdoor space heater. I think it would become my new best friend. This is cold country.
Confession, I lifted these photos from a variety of sites where this is listed; airbnb, a site called Trovit, another called VRBO. None of them had credits, I'm guessing the owner took them. This post is about the house, but here's a link to one site where you can read more about it.

On a short walk this morning I ran into a boat friend who heard the paranda (one r or two?) this morning about 4. She said the music was particularly good. Amazingly, I slept through it, which might be an historical first. Or it might just mean I went to sleep about an hour before the drive by. I'll go with that.

Have a transcendant Tuesday. Do something truthful.


4 comments:

  1. Re the cattle scale: Moose Mailoux (Bill's dad) told me that the cattle were taken to the Big Island by loading them on sailboats at the blockhouse on Tamarindo and then sailomg them to Fajardo. Upon approaching shore, the cattle were hoisted up (using he main halyard?) and lowered into the ocean. The cattle would then swim to shore and be rounded up for transport to ??. I may be fuzzy on details, but that’s the gist of it. Butch Pendergast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Butch! I am imagining that in my head, wishing I'd been around in those days. Using the halyard, wow!!! I wonder if there are any photos of that around, I would LOVE to see some! Hope all is well!

      Delete
  2. Hi -

    I ran into your delightful blog quite by chance awhile back and am enjoying your musings even though I am thoroughly ignorant of things Caribbean.

    I agree, pretty cool little house and, at 400+sq. ft., somewhat more livable, in my opinion, than most of the 'tiny homes' that seem to be all the rage just now. I also agree about the 'wet' bathroom - not my idea of the way to go. By the way, the 'wood' stove isn't - it's gas-fired - go figure. Also, in case you were/are curious about the whereabouts of Point Roberts, it is a peninsula that dangles down from British Columbia, Canada just south of Vancouver B.C. If you go there overland from Seattle, you have to drive into Canada and then back into Washington state.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martin - glad you're enjoying the blog - no worries, if you just read my previous posts I'm ignorant about my own 'back yard' so to speak, let alone all the other things where ignorance beats knowledge for me. The fun part is to keep learning, even if I must be publicly humiliated on occasion.

      You're right, I forgot it was a gas burner, which for a rental makes sense. In my head I turned it into a wood burner...oops. Of course, in my head I turned the convection oven nook into a wood fired stove too, with a chimney up through the stairs and and and...

      I read that about having to make a brief swing through Canada to get back to Point Robert's. I was wondering how that works with passports, would you need one if your destination was actually Washington? I was out there in the summer many years ago for a couple of weeks (Seattle and Port Townsend, in Vancouver for about 10 minutes), it was incredibly beautiful, with perfect weather the whole time. A fluke, I was told!

      Delete