Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Every Picture Tells a Story

Thank you, Rod Stewart, though I imagine you didn't sing it first. Waking up this morning there was an extra sound in the air. Beyond the roosters, beyond the sound that daylight makes. A loud susurration, with a little clanking tossed in. My brain surfaced Sleep Lake - it was the sound of concrete being made. Not enough for a truck, too much for screening by hand, it was the yellow one I see around. Though the sound seemed surrounding, then the direction was clear; it was from my closest neighbor's house; she's having needed improvements made.

Now it was time to walk over and see if I was soundly right. Plus, I really like the man doing the work over there. 


Falo is probably the strongest old guy I know. I know a lot of strong old guys, but not like him. 

Strong old guys are smart (or they wouldn't have gotten old) enough to work with young strong guys.

The apprentice serves

Enough added to create just the right mix. It was like watching a true cook at work, no measuring cups needed. 

This will end up being somewhat of a French drain, though I could pretty safely bet it isn't called that here.

It's okay, kid, you can get your hands dirty (just teasing, he's also a hard worker, but he's younger, so that's different)
Falo was one of the first people I met when I came to Culebra (I know two Falos, they are both good guys, very different, but this is about this Falo). He's always had a smile of welcome, not just for me, but for everyone he sees. I see him on projects all over the island, working hard every day, working when he works. His hands grasp the tasks of concrete, fluid in such a dense unwieldy medium; he makes it look airy.

Maybe it was because I've felt weak for so long that his wiry strength feels so vital. The world revolves around our own pivotal point - or at least I admit it too often does for me. I use the visual of his strength to feel stronger, as well as appreciating it being out there in our world. Or maybe I just need some coffee.

Have a work-it-out Wednesday. Do something weighty. 

2 comments:

  1. Back in my college days I drove a ready-mix truck. I and my colleagues would do the occasional side job, typically patios or driveways, staying away from the much trickier stairs. Most projects required the concrete to be hauled to the site in wheelbarrows that held between 900-1000 lbs. of the stuff. It is indeed a young man's occupation, and one that works well to motivate steady progress on the academic front!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Understandable, yikes! I don't know if this has been Falo's occupation all of his life or not, but he's definitely got his PhD in concrete artistry.

      Delete