Monday, December 16, 2013

Before It's Gone


With the planting project going on at Tamarindo beach, what was once a jungle surrounded, barely glimpsed gun placement pillbox, or maybe an observation structure of some kind (from the bad old days of the US Navy bombing Culebra for target practice) is now easy to see, the small trees and vines macheted down and taken away. It seemed worthwhile to turn away from the glittering sea to do some exploring, satisfying a lifelong itch to go where I probably shouldn't go and see what I probably shouldn't see. 



I blame my 'gotta go look' on my Dad, my earliest cohort and certainly his youngest, in what seemed a normal, fun way to spend time together, but was, I realized later, actually breaking and entering. Though i never broke anything, hoisted up on his shoulders to gain window entrance. They were always abandoned or at least unlived in real estate brokered houses; we had no motive to fill our pockets with anything but our curiosities sated. 

This excursion was really nothing like that at all, but had a taste of the coattails, my inner ear waiting for a voice to shoo me away, even though in truth, we never got caught. I raised a camera to my Dad in salute and stepped inside. It was a little difficult trying to imagine history while hearing the laughter of children down the beach, happily having an outdoor school day at the beach planting trees, but I tried, as silence took over, to let it speak.


At first glance, there is the rectangular concrete surrounding and a lot of rusted iron. Since I happen to really like rusty metal (as long as I don't have to be the one fixing it), it was worth a closer look.







Each corner had a fairly simple set up with eye bolts and shackles, obviously intended to be free moving.


Ok, maybe not so simple


In the center, these four bars came together, obviously shaped to be moving in at least semi rotation. Whatever connected them is long gone. Did a gun hang from this contraption? A...what? This structure is on the beach, maybe a dozen yards from the water line. The target practices had ships bombing the beaches (unless they missed, leaving live ammo still found to this day, heed the signs, they mean it), so defending from shore would seem likely.



I thought about the young boys that were here, from places in the Midwest, the South, from places where they had never seen a beach or an ocean before. Suddenly they were in one of the most beautiful places on earth, an inhabited island, a US commonwealth, with one goal, to practice killing. 




Those days are gone now, thanks to the extraordinary bravery, patience and mule like persistence of a handful of people who fought back against the powerful machine of the US government. And won. 

Is this the reinforced concrete?  


I obviously don't know a lot about military emplacements, even if I do know the story surrounding the ones here. If there is enlightenment to be had as to the actual use of this structure, I'd welcome it in the comments section. Teach away!

Have a Monday of magnitude. Do something moral.

14 comments:

  1. I was told years ago that this was a structure for holding cattle that used to be loaded/unloaded on ferries there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I got the message and made an update correction post. This is great to know.

      Delete
  2. Sweet. Never have been able to drag myself the few feet from the beach to go check it out...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it will make a LOT more sense when you see it knowing now that it was a cattle weighing station!

      Delete
  3. This and similar structures were used to weigh cattle before being sold and tranported to the mainland Puerto Rico. There were several on Culebra,La Quinta house behind El Batey still has one in operating condition and there was a smaller one on the way to club Seaborne on the left.Important part of our agricultural past.The were called Romanas.Thank you to Edwin Monell for the Info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks much, Susie! I'd love to talk with him and see the rest of them too. It's a wonderful part of Culebra's history. I knew we had cows, I knew some came from St. Croix but I never thought much about it past that (and the nasty thorned trees!). Any contact info would be appreciated.

      Delete
  4. This is great, my curiosity satisfied! I've wandered through this structure for all the years we've been coming to Culebra, taking photos but not capturing it as you have. Wonderful. Me, being a concrete and steel construction guy, wondering "what the hell is this"? Now I know. This is one of our favorite places on Culebra, the dip in the sand with lots of shade, the two trees to hang our hamaca on, perfect view. Hounddog and his master (?? the retired lady vet from Outer Banks NC) is usually there to visit with. I hate it but can't remember names. I can remember MJ because it is only two letters. Great blog great story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine was satisfied as well. The person who told me the first info (military) has lived here almost 20 years and that's what she was told! But obviously a flood of people knew the real story and I was so happy to get the straight story, it made a lot of sense after looking at the thing and trying to figure out what it could possibly have been used for, but the military story made sense too. Apparently there are a few more of them around the island and I've gotten a couple of names of people who 'were there' to talk to, so I'm not done with this yet!

      Delete
    2. Houndog and Jane. You're welcome. :-)

      Delete
  5. Waiting for 'more of the story'!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just across the road from this structure,up in the woods, is a hand dug well(?) lined with rocks. We've seen these wells (?) In other areas of Culebra, on the trail to Brava for one. Hmm curiosity still piqued.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are hand dug "brakish" water wells. All done in areas where that the cattle were driven to for their watering. Watering was done with a bucket pouring water into a trough of some sort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mr. K. Satisfying more curiosity...

      Delete
    2. Thanks! They are so wonderful looking...there is one on the way to Zoni, I keep worrying someone will destroy it.

      Delete