Thursday, December 19, 2013

How Local It Gets

With a lot of sleep I was up early enough to watch the moon go down and the sun come up. To get to town and get to the beach. To eat half of a half of a rotisserie chicken from La Pista for breakfast, chased by ginger snaps from Vibra Verde. Ok, the chicken came after the ginger snaps. Who am I to resist simple pleasures? 





T picked me up to head to the beach, which first meant errands. While she was busy in the Post Office, I headed over to Vibra Verde to get something healthy. It's not my fault that these cookies started whispering my name. Loudly.


They make a great breakfast. Too bad I didn't have any milk.

Then we fed the cats. The cats eat and the humans chase the oh so very bold wild chickens away, because the chickens will chase the cats away. They come on like zombies, afraid of very little, especially cats.

Wary for a reason

Newly planted sea grapes. The water was too cold to go swimming, but it didn't stop a couple of visitors who were out snorkeling, heading toward the coral farm and most likely, the turtles who like to hang out there. 
On the way back we stopped at La Pista for chicken but it wasn't ready yet, so a trip to see Digna's natural jewelry was put on the non-existant agenda.


Just a small sample of her beautiful work
By then, the chicken was ready. I actually made it in the door before demolishing the first 1/4. The cat got a few bites of the breast. Luckily for us both, she doesn't like dark meat, because that's for me.


How junked cars are removed on Culebra. We missed the fun part of it being picked up with the dozer bucket. Our dozer operators can move anything, and they do. 



Home again home again. Some days are like this. And that's all I know about that.

Have a non-touristy Thursday. Do something tip-tappingly.

6 comments:

  1. I remember, as a kid, eating ginger snaps until my mouth would burn. Couldn't stop they were so good. Haven't had one in over 30 years, but I may soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandmother's recipe to thicken pot roast gravy calls for 6 to 8 ginger snaps ---put in a cup & add enough water to soften them & then add to the pot ---great rich flavor !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i have to tell you, I love this idea and never, ever heard of it before. I raise a ginger snap to your Grandmother in thanks!

      Delete
  3. For you Culebra Cruisers, keep a jar of ginger snaps on board for sea-sick landlubber guests. Very effective anti-nausea agent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another brilliant idea. I am going to ask a couple of charter friends to try this if they don't already and see how it works out. Or, just how it works. Thanks!

      Delete