Thursday, April 10, 2014

Raising the Beams

I've watched a lot of things being built on Culebra. Sometimes it's a small home, built by friends and family over weeks and months, no trenches dug for straight lines of concrete block, just one atop the other in wavy rows that somehow end up straight. With plaster and paint, you never see it again. Then there are straight proper builds, measured with snap lines. Sometimes it's just some T1-11 over a wood frame of 2 x 4's.

Then I saw the tree log posts for Susie's garden room. I've talked with Susie and Jacinto about the vision of it, but the reality is something else. It leaves me a little breathless.





I can watch men and machines at work all day...but that's just me


By this afternoon the concrete floor will be poured. Very exciting!


Some builds however, are very very different. It all depends on what is needed. It's pretty simple for these guys.

If you look closely at the holes land crabs dig, they know how to make an almost cement hard mud. I don't know if they have super spit or what does it, but if you have a land crab hole and want to get rid of what they dig out, do it fast before it hardens.


Raise high the roofbeams, carpenters!

Have a take it to the top Thursday. Do something terrific!


2 comments:

  1. I've been watching (and directing) men and machines work for 40+ years and I still love it. Something about starting with nothing and ending with something, beautiful hopefully. Damn, those wood columns, I didn't think they let trees grow that big anymore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what we were talking about this afternoon. Two days ago, it didn't exist and now...wow. Jacinto told me where the trees came from but I don't know how to even type it. I can tell you that they were pressure treat on the big island though, and that's pretty amazing too.

      Delete