Monday, April 7, 2014

Salud to Two Who Made Us Think and Laugh and Cry

Edited to note!! Ooops!!! Apparently, Jesse IS still with us, in hospice. And that's a very good thing.

Jesse Winchester is still alive. Hearing the published report, I contacted his wife, Cindy. This is her response: Jesse is still here! He is terminally ill, that much is true. Hospice is here in our home and he is comfortable (relatively) and at peace. He has a few more weeks and he continues to teach us something about grace and dignity.
comment from the Steve Hoffman Music forum

But I'll just leave the rest as is.

Mickey Rooney. Jesse Winchester. An unlikely pair but both are gone from this plane now, leaving behind their wealth to all of us. Mickey Rooney got started long before I came along but he was an intrinsic part of my growing up (maybe because we had being short in common, yet he was so much larger than his physical stature) with movies that stuck in my forever mind.



 Yes, I'm pretty corny. My kids still laugh about how much I love this movie

Appreciating Jesse Winchester was more like being in a secret club, and a very good club it was to be in. I owe my older musician friends (they seemed a lot older when I was sixteen and they were in their early 20's...now, not so much) a lot for opening so many doors to so much good music when my own age group was listening to the Archies. Thanks, y'all.


What does this have to do with Culebra? Probably a lot. We are full of the quirky and quiet beauties of life, though not necessarily in that order and often not even close to being the same thing. That's all I know about that.

Have a moment melting Monday. Do something misty.

No comments:

Post a Comment