Saturday, April 24, 2010

Happy Birthday Dear Sean!

Happy Birthday Doggerel for Sean,  one of my Favorite Salts

Suddenly it all makes sense
Why you are still here..
So that you can say, “I’m 69”
to us this birthday year.

Some might think that’s crazy
I’ll shrug and just say fine.
as you start to grin and answer
 “Oh, I’m just 69.”

Some might credit doctors
And part of that is true
But I believe your miracles
are about a bigger view.

I believe that love took up
and over for the docs
That having Nancy by your side
Brought you through these rocks

And that your own high love of life
and keeping off the whine
while thinking “Damn it! Screw this!
I gotta say I’m sixty-nine!”

So I’m looking toward Maine ‘soon come’, 

a toasting on the brine
and all around you we will shout...
“Yeah yeah...we KNOW! You’re 69!”

Happy Birthday, dear Sean! Happy Birthday to you!

2 comments: