Saturday, April 17, 2010

Saturday Souffle

photo & story credit: Sue Ventura

So here's Dale in a very unusual setting.......I took this pic thinking I could blackmail Dale at a future date for playing hooky from work.... but I was later informed by Linda A that he's actually on his way back from delivering ice to Culebrita........I should have known better, Dale's a true company man.............We love you Dale.

I like that story, thanks Sue. Joe and Dale work so hard to bring us that icy addition to our lives, it's great seeing Dale having fun, even if he is working! Of course, if we see JOE out in a kayak with bags of Frozen Heilo, that might be worrisome...

Yesterday's Veggie display had a plethora of mushrooms among the rest of the bounty. For once I resisted, but not until mentally preparing each kind in some way or another. I think I need to start a 'mushroom fund' alongside my trip fund.

Yum!

These were about the size of a salad plate...
I could just imagine them on the grill...

A wonderful time to be at the stand; the crowds are gone and it's easy to wander,
seeing everything there was...and there was plenty. I left with three bags full.

More and more people around here are starting their own gardens, which is musica to my ears. As wonderful as the veggie stand is, and it is! there is nothing like the satisfaction of picking your own fruit and vegetables from your own plants. Gardening isn't easy around here, we have rocky soils and droughts and way too much sunshine sometimes. But the efforts are worth it. Container gardening is the way to go in my yard, especially with salt water not so very deep down. And it keeps the bees and hummingbirds (along with the occasional marauding iguanas and chickens) happy.

It's Spring, go plant something!


13 comments:

  1. is there anything in particular you are craving to grow and pick out of the garden outside of your summer bedroom? if so, place your order. soon the snow will stop and it will be time for planting....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tomatoes, always tomatoes...lettuce(s), cukes, uh oh, I could go on and on here...that will be fun to garden up there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is Susie's last day open?

    ReplyDelete
  4. As of right now, the 26th. So you'll be here just in time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. tomatoes. check
    Lettuce(s). check
    Cuke. check
    Radishes. check
    Green Beans. check
    peas. check
    rainbow chard. check
    scallions. check
    dill. check
    basil. check
    rosemary. check

    and probably others i've forgotten...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mint? Can we have mint too? Think frozen mojitos...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just in the nick of time. Does Susie have regularly occurring specials?

    Sadly, our Poland correspondent doesn't arrive until the 27th (we hope).

    ReplyDelete
  8. BTW, is yonder langosta typical? Looks like it feeds a family of four.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What would be special about a regularly appearing special, Doug? You DO need to get back here! As to the other, I'm not touchin' that one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I meant is Monday Island Mash night and Tuesday Mofongo night, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm teasing you, Doug. Island mash is pretty much a staple...as for the rest, you'll just have to be surprised. One thing I love about working at Susie's is how she'll come in and say, "I just have to make some _____ for tonight!" And then she does it and that's the special. It can be more planned but I've watched that happen a few times now and it's always something yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. mint is a given.

    ReplyDelete