Saturday, April 10, 2010

Who Knew?

Yesterday I kept my play date with Milton, Bliss and Steve & Krista's dad to check out the complex up by the airport. Milton has some great ideas (and has started the paper ball rolling, he's not just an idea guy!) of uses for this place and wanted to show me what was there.


I, ignorantly, had pretty much just laughed about the track and gazebos I could see as when headed to town, wondering what that was about, next to the airport, but really not giving it any more thought. Maybe I'm the only one that didn't know what was going on here, but now I know better. Thanks, Milton!

There is a theater. A real theater. No seats, but everything else. There is a HUGE auditorium, well lit. There is a pristine tennis court, with a net! There is a beautiful basketball court. There are restroom facilities next to these courts and also adjacent to the gazebos. It's really quite incredible.

There is also horse poop in the auditorium / theater area, some termites trying to make a claim, a broken window. The beginning of deterioration that all buildings will suffer if not in use. The buildings are open, the courts are locked.

Just coming up with random ideas for these areas is a happy mind boggle...a cultural center, plays, movies, Culebra team sports, family areas, and...it's all next to a big neighborhood, full of families with children, as well as fairly central to everyplace else on Culebra. What's not to like?

Milton has been in touch with the powers that be to begin the processes necessary to start utilizing these spaces and there will be more to follow, but I couldn't wait to share what I saw. It's a big wow! Even in its unfinished condition, a couple of Culebra clean up weekends could make a big difference. A community project for a community place.

So have a look...


Not a barn

Auditorium

Auditorium

Theater

Projection area

Broken window

Termite trails

Basketball court

Tennis court

Restroom facilities

Gazebos

Track

Track

I don't think there is anyone living on or connected to Culebra who doesn't want more for our kids (and adults) to do and here is one of the solutions, already made, 'almost finished' but some areas usable as is (the tennis and basketball courts, the track). If you are interested in helping out, contact Milton (the yoga guy).

Culerba...there's always a surprise when you least expect it, and sometimes, it's a really good one!

2 comments:

  1. MJ:

    Thank you for your voice. And thank you for your presence among us. And for all of the hearts you have awakened through your eyes and mind: Thank You!

    Milton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee, Milton...this was sort of an embarrassing comment to post! However, you notice I rose above my red cheeks and did it anyway. Thanks. If I can, in my stumbling way, open one or two sets of eyes, I'm ahead of my own game plan in the world. And it's people like you who keep me keeping on with a grin. Luckily, and surprisingly to some, there are more of the good than the other sort. Really.

    ReplyDelete