Thursday, April 29, 2010

A holiday feeling

Yesterday I went out to Zoni with an old friend and some new ones who are staying at a house there this week. A house that happens to be one of my very favorite houses on Culebra, with the beach only steps away from the yard and the house high enough to give an outrageous view, while comfortable enough that sand on the floors feels right - even if it gets swept out every morning. These are three tidy guys!

I took so many photos, it was very hard to weed them out, but here are some of the ones that made the cut. Don't forget you can click on the photos to make them bigger!

Culebrita lighthouse

Hazy Horizon

Fishing on the rocks (he got one too!)

It's the little things...

Sunset

And then the cooking began! Through a roundabout series of contacts, Doug finally procured 3 lobsters from a long awaited catch. One monster, one huge, one small. I brought along my hot sauce pot and the water finally boiled...in went Mr. Gigantico. Susie and Ramon would be so proud of me!!


Finally he was done (okay, he needed about 10 more minutes but by then it was too late, I was once again covered in lobster juice and the guys were gaga-ing over the enormous amount of tail meat, while other sections were being opened and feasted on. Suddenly there was butter and rice and salad (these guys work fast) and I was busy with the other lobsters...and eating lobster...and drinking wine, which seemed to flow endlessly, while eating yet more lobster. I think we ate lobster for an hour before the newspapers were swept away, the dishes were done - yep, the guys did all that - and we were back on the porch watching the moon over the sea.


After a long beach walk, we all hit our respective sleep spots. I can testify, that house has a very comfortable couch! Thanks for the pillow, Paul!

This morning I woke at pre-dawn as usual, but with no roosters crowing and no CWIM asking for a head scratch and breakfast. The lads were still all abed. It was time for a walk on the beach...called out by this bird.

Singing in the dawn

And Sol came shining

An early fisherman

Obviously a turtle who took her time finding her spot last night

Rock bottom

Prehistoric turtle sleeping

Fish were going crazy in the water, at one point swirling around my feet, but I couldn't get a photo of any of them! Instead I ran on the sand as they moved fast on some feeding frenzy and suddenly poof! they were gone. There were some pretty little waves though. Here are a few that I liked...





I came back to find Doug was making tea for me, since he remembered I talk about tea a lot - very nice, and coffee for the rest of the crew. Then it was time to get home to CWIM and the chickens and re-start the day.

Oh, that can wait...I think it's time to take a nap. Thanks, Doug and buds for having me over - it was a wonderful mini holiday!

10 comments:

  1. These are fantastic, MJ. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MJ, you were a joy for our Karibbean shout! Life is good...Tonight it's fettucini con langosta, and the hammer was the ticket

    ReplyDelete
  3. great shots!!! i mean REALLY great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yippie for the hammer! And thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great little vacation! Glad to see Dougie and the boys are having a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it can be rightly said they are having a great time! And it ain't over yet ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome photos!!!
    I am soooo homesick. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad they made you happy - I think I'm going to know that homesick feeling soon enough...even in another beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Laurie, I just found your comment...and take that as a big compliment from you! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete