Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Ternin' 'tails

It's been quiet around here...which might be because I've basically been only hanging around my own casita and yard, but it could just be a nice quiet time overall. Either way, with the weather and the quiet, it's pretty close to perfection, a state that is as ephemeral as...

Looking over some old photos, last year at this time there were a lot more pelicans in the bay fishing. This seems to be the year of the terns, wheeling and diving, mostly singly, but sometimes chasing each other like Blue Angel sky pilots. The peli's are out there but not enough to be regular. I'm waiting. I can do that.


Yesterday I was looking out the window and saw these two White Cheeked Pintail ducks (or Bahama pintails, a name I like a little more) at the edge of the water, one busily stuffing its white cheeks while the other sort of watched out and about.


I was walking around the yard edges, looking for different views. The one duck knew I was out there but the snackin' duck seemed oblivious. Finally, Watchout Duck looked right at me and gave me a Green Flash. Really. I'm not sure what signal that sends in duck language, but I took what I considered a hint and went back inside.


Another cool and lovely morning. Hurry up and get here, Doug; I have no idea how long they will last, but we are all enjoying them immensely!

Have a winsome Wednesday. Do something wavy.

3 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous picture of the ducks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, Dougie is gonna be one happy boy. like we needed something to make him happy on culebra.

    ReplyDelete