Sunday, April 18, 2010

A lazy working Saturday


Yes, I know it's Sunday but I'm often a day later in blog land! Well, except for the following:

This is another 3 day holiday weekend, celebrating Jose de Diego. Are you starting to get these people straight? Because I rarely do. Here's the gist of why PR gets a holiday Monday in April.

Dr. José de Diego y Martínez a.k.a. as "Father of the Puerto Rican Independence Movement" (April 16, 1866 – July 16, 1918), was a statesman, journalist, poet, and advocate for Puerto Rico's independence from Spain and from the USA.


There seem to be lots of poet/politicians in Puerto Rican history and he's one of them. I don't get involved in the politics around here, more than the daily round that affects Culebra, mainly because I know better. Having friends in pretty much every party, and a few opinions of my own, it is best to remain an adopted Culebrense for Culebra, in my realm of thinking. Works for me! And happy to have the holiday and visitors it brings, because life has gone pretty quiet around here.

Life will be getting quieter still, very quickly. Susie's will be closing near the end of the month until around the end of May - part of that time will be used for some renovations, so look for some changes if you don't get back until after summer.

Ramon and one of the lobsters you can enjoy at Susie's - we really do cook 'em and clean 'em and I have the spiny holes in my hands to prove it. Ramon can out clean me at about 2 to 1...so I'm giving him the hardest parts now. That's what you get for being young and fast, mi amigo!

I have been informed I have to move the cart when the bridge repairs start, also near the end of the month. After my first blustery attempts of protest, they let me know the main concern is that there will be welding going on within a foot of the cart and there is a concern about fire. I think the mental wheels were screeching in a 180 degree turn as I agreed, yep, I'll move the cart! Fire is not my friend (or anyone else's, unless they are around a fireplace or campfire, or melting metals or....ok, uncontrolled fire is not my friend).

Because there really isn't a viable place to keep the cart open - despite the many options I've been told - and because I am leaving June 8 anyway, I'm going to park the cart in a safe keeping place, storm readied, until I return in early October. This is a whole new adventure for me, so I'm just taking it a step at a time, mostly dictated by me, and partially by the events around me. Such is life, and I'm rolling with...literally! I'll be back on the corner in October, ready to play.


As of yesterday afternoon, there was this very cool boat in the harbour. It's pretty far out there but the lines were so unusual I had to get a photo (it's been very rough out, so the dinghy has been tied up or I'd have a better photo). I know there is a name for this sort of boat, but I don't remember what that name is. Anyone have some ideas? You can click on the photo for a larger view. Whatever it is, I really like it!


Sitting on Kim's On Island porch yesterday afternoon, the frigates were doing their 'stay in one place' thing and as ever, it's amazing to watch them in high gusts, shifting, adjusting, hovering. This one turned a complete 360 a couple of times...which of course I didn't video because it was a) unexpected and b) happened too fast for me. But very cool to watch...


Have a salubrious Sunday. Do something saltant!

This just in (seeing as how I'm not political and all...). Scroll down for English.


Enviale un escrito, email o llama a la oficina del Senador Roberto Arango y la Senadora Luz M. Santiago y expresale tu oposición y descontento sobre la medida:


El senador Roberto Arango ha sometido el P del S 1342 para enmendar el Artículo 4 de la Ley Núm. 92 del 16 de junio de 2008 - ley de la Reserva Natural Humedal Punta Viento de Patillas a los fines de eliminar la Zona de Amortiguamiento ( la mitad de la Reserva) de este valioso recurso costero y dar paso a desarrollos de vivienda en esta Zona Protegida.

Este proyecto está bajo la consideración de la Comisión de Recursos Naturales del Senado que preside la Senadora Luz M. Santiago.


Comisión de Recursos Naturales y Ambientales

Hon. Luz. M. Santiago González - Presidenta

Hon. Angel R. Martínez Santiago - Vicepresidente

Hon. José E. González Velázquez - Secretario

Hon. José R. Díaz Hernández

Hon. Jorge Suárez Cáceres – Portavoz PPD


Utiliza la carta modelo adjunta o crea tu propio escrito, añadiendo el nombre del Senador correspondiente a la Comisión y al Sr. Arango.

Comparte este email con tus contactos.





787-724-2030 EXT. 2710, 2711 arangopr@yahoo.com

rarango@senadopr.us



Hon. Roberto A. Arango Vinent

Senador de Distrito I

Senado-EL Capitolio
P.O. Box 9023431
San Juan, PR. 00902-3431


http://www.facebook.com/Roberto.Arango.Senador?ref=ts


Contacto:

Luis Francisco Baerga Colón

P.O. Box 503

Patillas, Puerto Rico

00723-0503

(787) 469-5813

Frente Ambiental Amigos de la Naturaleza Patillas, PR Inc.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Frente-Ambiental-Amigos-de-la-Naturaleza-Patillas-Puerto-Rico-Inc/60441977384?ref=ts

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/frenteambientalpatillas

Gmail: frenteambientalpatillas@gmail.com

Yahoo: frenteambiental@yahoo.com

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

ENGLISH

Send a letter, email or call the office of Senator and Sen. Roberto Arango Luz M. Santiago and express your opposition and discontent about the measure:

Sen. Roberto Arango has submitted the P of S 1342 to amend Article 4 of Act No. 92 of June 16, 2008 - Law of Wetland Natural Reserve Punta Viento de Patillas for the purpose of eliminating the Buffer Zone (the Reserve half) of this valuable resource and make way for coastal housing developments in this protected area.

This project is under consideration by the Committee on Natural Resources chaired by Senator Senate Luz M. Santiago.

Committee on Environmental and Natural Resources

Light Hon. M. Santiago Gonzalez - President

Angel R. Hon Santiago Martinez - Vice President

Hon Joseph E. González Velázquez - Secretary

Hon Joseph R. Hernández Díaz

Hon Jorge Suárez Cáceres - Spokesman PPD

Use the attached form letter or create your own letter, adding the name of Senator relating to the Commission and Mr. Arango. Write in English…but just write.

Folks writing from Culebra please remember to mention that we share migratory bird populations that depend on these wetlands and Culebra’s birds are a major part of Culebra’s nature tourism product. Shame on a Government and its representative that would rescind environmental protections so many have struggled so long and so hard to obtain!

Share this email with your contacts.

Mary Ann Lucking
Director
CORALations
P.O. Box 750
Culebra, PR 00775
www.coralations.org
1-877-77CORAL / 1-877-77(2-6725) (gratis / toll free)
(o) 787-556-6234 email: maryann@coralations.org

No comments:

Post a Comment