Monday, April 26, 2010

Weekend Roundup

Yesterday was full from early to late...hence no post. I was reminded of that when someone asked me about the cart move (I did post photos on Facebook though!), so here are a few shots. My heart was beating hard but needlessly, as between Jacinto and Susie, everything went as planned and very easily. Well, there was the moment of Jacinto laying in the road making that clip thing on the hitch work properly, but he got it right and away we went!

Jacinto hooking up the cart...Susie at the wheel (she was GOOD!)

Hooked up, getting secure (I love careful people!)

At this point people going by were yelling out "Hey Island Woman! Where are you going?"

Sure looks empty...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last night was the 2nd End of Season party at Susie's. This year I was on the other side of the door, but managed to get a few shots...ond finally kitchen time was done and I got a few more! It's been a great season, working with wonderful people. Hard work, good times. Thanks to Susie, Ramon, Rosalyn, Kate, Karen, Cynthia, Mario and Vilma for welcoming me into the Familia Susie! Ramon saw proof that an old dog can learn a few new tricks...thanks, Ramon, for being patient with me - god knows I tested it a few times!

The reason we're all here!

While at the bar...(eating some wonderful apps Susie gave out)

Canal side fans

Steadfast customers, Taz & Ann

Ed

David (hair styled by Gretchen...with beer - looks good!)

Getting to enjoy her own party

Kate, still working, still smiling (she's a rock of joy...I'd be dragging
and she'd always do something to bring a grin to my face...thanks, Kate!)

Rosalyn and her guy...she's an inspired plate artist!
She can also say "Asshole" in her whispery, tiny voice in a way
that makes me laugh every time, as intended
...so glad her English is coming along!

Neil, done in his own kitchen, arrives for the party!

...and has some fine dancing feet on him!
And no Neil, I'll NEVER learn to dance like that!
But thanks for trying...

Sweet Mario - always willing to help and DJ without peer.
He reads the moment and has the music (and my shift drink)...every time!

Susie's A team!

And a couple more of us
Karen, Rosalyn and Vilma had already left

And that's what it's all about
(ok you two, go take a well deserved holiday for a minute, would you?)

Susie drove me home for the last time (and thanks for all the rides, everyone! you know I mean that, I really really mean that!) It's been a great experience. lots of firsts (like...the first time I ever got drunk on Cointreau, thanks Jacinto!, first time I made tamarindo sorbet, first time I cleaned 8375 lobsters, first time I washed 5 million dishes - on the same night, first time I learned how to say shit and a few other things in Spanish, thanks, Rosalyn and Ramon) and I wouldn't trade it. I would give over my position as Kitchen Den Mother to someone else if things pick up next season at the cart, but you never know...

Thanks for everything, Susie...including that pastelon you made for the staff to take home while making free apps and dinners for actual customers (the dinners weren't free!). I think I ate it about 3 a.m. and it was GOOD!!! As good as the bits I got in the kitchen fresh out of the oven...

Video to come (after 3 hours, I'm trying another way!)

5 comments:

  1. Mj, I am delighted to see the moving the cart photos but the last one of the empty lonely corner is just sad. As you know, we've been coming to Culebra for 9 years and I remember it being there from the start. just how long has it been parked by the bridge? Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, and the party looks fun too. Nothing like good friends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does feel strange...to put it mildly. I'm not sure exactly (I can find out exactly!) but I think it's in the 10 to 12 year range. The first owners and builders of the cart, Serge and Sandy, put it there way back when. Through Monika, Laurie and myself, it's been a very good spot! And it will be again, next fall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey island woman! i stayed at jacinto's hotel last year and it was amazing. i was hoping to go back, but can't remember the name of it. do you think you can send me the name of his hotel or link to a website if he has one? thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know what? I don't think I even ever KNEW the name of it! I don't know of a website for it either. Hmmm. I'll see what I can find out.

    ReplyDelete