Friday, June 18, 2010

Boothbay Farmers market

I can't believe that the other day's post on our moose/bear trip I forgot to post a photo of our first moose! And Mt. Katahdin, which is stunning. I guess I was too excited about the bear. But what is worse, much worse, is that I totally messed up our guide's name, which his sister mentioned to Laurie when she read the post. ARGH!!!! So, in case you are desirous of roaming the North Woods with a truly exceptional guy, his name is Bryant Davis (not Brian) and his company, which I did get right, is Maine Quest Adventures which will provide a tour from a day trip to the mountains, a photo safari for moose and if you're dream lucky, bear, to hunting fiddleheads for dinner, and lots more in between. Sorry, Bryant!!!

First moose

Mt. Katahdin (it looks pretty mellow here, even at a bit over 
5200 feet of elevation;but Bryant says, when people ask him 
what is the easiest way to get to the top, "There isn't one.")
And you can't drive up there either. I like it - 
there's still a mountain that won't let you cheat!

Thursday is the Farmer's Market here in Boothbay Harbor. There is a curious thing going on that since they've started up again for the season, it has rained every Thursday morning. Yesterday was no exception, well, it was raining harder than last Thursday. There are all sorts of vendors: cheeses, breads, meats (jerky, salamis, sausages), flowers and veggies, baskets, soaps, goat milk, and more. But the rain got heavier and the shopping became a dash, so I only got a couple of shots. There will be more!

Rainbow Swiss chard

Some flower plants for sale

After we got home from the store, that thing called work, yes, we took a walk down to the water, which is at the end of the street. It's very beautiful and I think of it as my Northern Dinghy Dock cocktail spot now.

Two from Culebra, on the rocks
photo credit: Laurie Knowlton                            

Laurie's dog George enjoying a bog roll

Pedro, a sato from home, loves everything here but water! 
Go figure.

Tonight we are going to see a band named the subdudes. I've heard they are great, now - but I'd never heard of them before (amazing, I know). I gather I'm in for a huge aural treat. It's being held in a neat venue, the Opera House here in Boothbay, which looks small enough to make it more fun. I'll let you know.

There is so much going on in the summer here; trying to cram a year's worth of events into 3 short warm(ish) months, that it's sort of irritating, to tell you the truth. Like having a groaning board loaded up with almost everything you love to eat and having the mandate of picking 6 items out of 138. Of course, it's overload for me, but wow! Just looking at posters for any given weekend is ridiculous.

Of course, I should have been taking photos last night when we had our dinner. We'd bought three types of sausage from the co-op in Belfast; lamb, spinach and feta, and rosemary. At the farmer's market we'd bought three kinds of new potatoes, including the purple ones. And the newest of new summer squash. We grilled the sausage and potatoes (I wrapped them (the potatoes, not the sausage!) in foil in a mixture of butter, garlic, fresh dill and a pinch of mint), and sauteed the squash. It was all delicious and knowing that the veggies had come from the earth that morning and that the sausage was made locally, from all good local critters, just made it one of those great simple, perfect meals. Well, the wine I drank wasn't local...but little Lori pointed it out in the co-op and it was less than five bucks a bottle and a decent table wine, so local schmokal! Photos next cooking event, promise!

Looks like the majority of the rain event will be to the south of Culebra, but who knows? If you have to go to the big island, be careful out there! I'm glad that it just looks like a rain event and nothing worse (unless you are in Haiti, I mean)

Work calls, two days in a row! I'm so excited! Have a frenzy-less Friday. Do something fresh.

3 comments:

  1. GEORGE!! I haven't seen him for such a long time. He looks so happy and smiley! I have always been so glad that he wasn't french ( Georges ) I don't think I would like him as much.

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you tell me where the best farmer's markets are located on the island and which day is best to go?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best and only market is on Friday, at the building across the street from Casa Ensenada. Which is right before you get to El Batey, coming from town. He gets there early but is all set up by around 8.

    ReplyDelete