Friday, June 4, 2010

Free Range Friday - Talkin' Twain, Dust and Grillin'

Everybody talks about the weather, 
but nobody does anything about it       

Supposedly, Mark Twain said that, though there is some debate on the matter. But ultimately, it is as true and in character as many other of his quotes. Now's there a man I would love to have a chat with...according to an old letter I found in my mother's things, an aunt of hers who lived on the Mississippi (can you spell that without singing the song?) in New Orleans, Mr. Clemens was a frequent guest of her parents, and would be coming to her debutante ball, in this particular missive. I'm so jealous! But to her, course, he was just another friend of her parents. Perspective is everything...And my perspective is, I am really hoping for some blue sky before I take off on Tuesday! Relativity is everything too (so I'm lousy at math, mea culpa)

(from the San Juan NWS) - A LARGE AND DENSE AREA OF SAHARAN DUST ACROSS
PR/USVI. REALLY...THE MOST SIGNIFICANT THAT I HAVE SEEN AROUND HERE
IN QUITE A WHILE. HAZY...HOT AND HUMID CONDITIONS WILL PERSIST TODAY
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 
I'd continue my whine with wine, but as it's early, I'll stick with tea instead. Truly though, the reality of hot, dusty weather (or rain or darkness) never stops me from grilling. In fact, weather like this is the kick of encouragement for many to grill, keeping home interiors cooler without ovens and stove tops blazing. I like that.

While my own fridge is close to bare in prep for leaving and I'm not going to stock anything up for this recipe, it's one I'll definitely be making when I get back. To my way of thinking  it has so many of the ingredients I really enjoy. If you can't find Thai basil (and you should be growing it, it's easy - and perfect for a windowsill garden), regular basil will do. As for the molido/hamburger meat, ours from Milka's is about as lean as it is possible to get, which for this dish is perfection. On a stick. And we have those too!

I found this recipe via the author of The Meatwave blog, (which has some lovely photos of the prep process) who found it and adapted it from yet another source...just as you and I will adapt it a little more, according to taste. If you don't have any Sriracha (hot sauce / Rooster sauce) on hand, you can use any hot sauce you like, but really, you SHOULD have Sriracha on hand, as its flavor is absolutely unique. If you like hot sauces, this is one of the true must-have classics.

 

Thai Beef Rolls with Sweet Chili Sauce

- serves 6 -
Adapted from Weber's Charcoal Grilling: The Art of Cooking With Live Fire by Jamie Purviance and Tim Turner.

Ingredients

For the sauce:
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon thinly sliced green onions
1 tablespoon fish sauce
2 teaspoons Sriracha

For the filling:
1 pound ground chuck (80% lean)
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint
1 tablespoon finely chopped Thai chilis
1 teaspoon fish sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 bunch of Thai basil
12 wooden skewers, soaked in water for at least 30 minutes

Procedure

1. Mix all the ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl until the sugar has dissolved.

2. In a large bowl, gently combine the ground chuck with the rest of the filling ingredients.

3. Shape a tablespoon of the filling into a small log. Wrap 1 basil leaf around the beef and thread onto a skewer. Repeat until all of the filling is gone.

4. Light one chimney full of charcoal. When all the charcoal is lit and covered with gray ash, pour out and spread coals out evenly over the charcoal grate. Clean and oil the cooking grate. Grill the rolls until the filling is fully cooked and slightly firm, about 6 to 8 minutes, turning once during cooking. Serve immediately with the dipping sauce.

Here's hoping you are grilling under blue skies!! Buen provecho!

This really is the sunrise this morning, NOT a moonrise

p.s. Sorry I just missed photographing CWIM chasing away Cheep Cheep, the young free rooster, who was on the verge of walking in the door. A first! Well done, CWIM! would you like a bite of chicken?

6 comments:

  1. Slathered Sriracha on my stir-fried pork sammich yesterday at Mekong, my weekly Vietnamese lunch destination. Friend Tom also squirts it in his shrimp-wonton soup; I prefer a sprinkle of soy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time I'll bring the Sriracha! I ruined a couple of bowls of pho at my favorite Vietnamese place in Florida with Sriracha, before I knew the powah...

    ReplyDelete
  3. you need to bring this recipe in your pretty little head...you'll be selling a lot of this sauce this summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I thought about that after I posted...we'll make it for dinner one night...doesn't it sound yum?

    ReplyDelete
  5. have i mentioned that while phil LOVES hot, Saucy can no longer eat peppers of any kinds...even bell peppers? it's heartbreaking to me, but one of those body changes that happened with the heart. go figure. but you and phil can have it one night when i'm working. :) he'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no!!! Well, we can have two versions, chica, that's not hard to do.

    ReplyDelete