Saturday, June 19, 2010

the subdudes wow a Culebra chica

Wow. When Doug (of Doug and Mariel on the boat) emailed me about this band, just hoping I'd get to see them up here, I started getting more excited. He, as a 20 year fan, backed up what I'd already heard and read, that the subdudes is not only excellent, but one of those great bands that should really be heard live. And so they proved to be. Now I know why he wrote that he'd be jealous. I'm jealous of my own self, and I was there!

Laurie got this off her phone camera....no flash was allowed
(I'm actually just posting it for my women friends - yes; now go look up better photos)

The Opera House, its name provoking an image perhaps bit more grandiose than its reality - is still a stellar venue. A wonderful, classic New England style wooden building; large airy rooms with stamped tin ceilings, lots of stairways and that sense of 'I've been here and heard a lot' in its walls, it has a slew of dedicated people who are working very hard to get the old thing restored to her former glory days. They are succeeding too, one great show at a time. For an intimate connect feel with a band playing, it couldn't have been a better venue - unless they came and played in Laurie's living room, which would then be perfection - if their voices didn't gently blow out the walls.  And that's sans microphones...

At the end, after leaving the stage, the band came back, into the middle of the crowd - who didn't crowd them and everyone there was close enough to see and hear well - and sang a couple more tunes. The youtube below is of very much the same scene, and very much the same feel. My camera was in the car, on purpose.


If you are, like I was, ignorant about this band, now is the time to learn about them and enjoy. Their harmony is melting, the vocal power is passionate, the lyrics range from fine to funny...and seeing them live... yes, they are absolutely one for your bucket list. Yeah, us new converts are pain in the butt gushy sorts. And it's not like I don't love Conga Night and the once a year different music we get....I do! But WOW. Of course I'm overboard about an incredible music night.  Enjoy anyway!

2 comments:

  1. An excellent band, indeed. In my community radio days, I had the pleasure of doing the on-stage intro of the 'dudes several times, as well as some quality time between acts, backstage.

    Fun facts about the subdudes:

    -Tommy Malone, frontman and lead singer, is the brother of Radiators songwriter and lead singer, Dave Malone. Both bands are N'awlins classics and pack Jazzfest annually.

    -Tommy fronted another R&B supergroup, Tiny Town, during a 7 year hiatus, during which time fans of the 'dudes gave up hope:-(

    -You were listening to them (and the Radiators) at the lobsterfest and O's birthday party on my iPod!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great factoids and funny about the ipod part...I bet that's who was on when I asked, isn't it? Who ever knows what happens next? That's why we get up in the morning!

    ReplyDelete