Monday, June 28, 2010

Maine miscellany

First, I DID get another chance at the ruby throated hummingbird! And I saw his girlfriends as well, but they were too elusive for me to catch on pixels...this time (and it's pouring right now, so I'll be inside awhile - just wanting to relate to you all at home, who seem to be in the clear for another while! Yippie!)


I continued the lazy theme throughout the day yesterday, but at one point I did get off my butt to go for a walk in the woods down to the river. It isn't a deep and dark wood, more like an abandoned park wood, with deep leaf litter and plenty of fallen trees both large and small - some so small I could push them over - so of course, I did. But the river is timeless, its age marked by the rocky shores, worn smooth by the rise and fall of tides over a few eons.


For some reason rocks have a real appeal to me. Every time I walk the beaches of Culebra, I have this fleeting regret that I never studied geology - those rocks tell stories worth understanding, if only to respect the wonder of our earth,  and take a hint at the value (or valuelessness) of time.

Rocks here, in their vastly different setting, seem so different...even while so much the same.
And now, into the woods and on to the river. Or vice-versa.

Broken

BIG crystals

Natural shelving

Escargot on the rocks

Barbie and Ken's Hobbit House - complete with running water


That black thing is a funky river plant left by the tide

Fallen, still beautiful

I think this is fake

I love the ferns here!

Hanging on anyway...for now

We all fall down

Mushroom view of the floor

 Atlantis
 

Of course there is more where that came from, but I'm off to do something else. Like make more tea. And then to work. I love that word! Remind me I said that.

Bonus photo! Elena Jahn on Monhegan Island 
(Laurie was there for a photo workshop and they got to meet up on another rock)

No comments:

Post a Comment