Sunday, June 20, 2010

Lobster Boat Races

Yesterday was the annual Lobster Boat Race at Boothbay Harbor. Phil and I went over to the Aquarium, which is considered the primo viewing spot to watch them. There were a couple of guys who had VHF's, so we could listen to the races being called - and a few inside jokes I sort of got; boat talkin'. There were a few women captains as well, which was great to know.

Criteria was that the boats had to be working lobster boats, even though they had souped up engines. There were 25 races and then a free for all gas race for the winners of each class and a free for all diesel for the winners of those classes. All in all it was a lot of fun...and sort of a crazy Maine thing. All these boats roared right down the center of a lot of other boats, some being used as party boats, some just out on a beautiful day. The wakes were incredible and I didn't see anyone fall down. Guess Mainers have better balance than we do...

In the last free for all race, the Coast Guard boat that was cruising around joined in. Not quite like our Coasties, I don't think.

I took a LOT of photos, and I'm really posting too many, but it was a wonderful scene on a beautiful day (don't forget you can click on the photos to enlarge them)Thanks, Phil! And thanks, lobster boat folks, for a fine show.

Does this look semi-familiar?

Taking a soaking



One of some fine old pleasure boats out there

This guy roared in last in his class - can you tell why? Ouch!

Some kind of strange!



I think the top speed I heard on the radio was 49mph

I couldn't tell if he was parading her around...or what

or what...

Best Bow Wake of Show

Best Stern Wake of Show





I wanted to get a tee shirt, something I'm rarely inspired to do at an event, but it was so funky it seemed like a good idea. But I never got to the awards ceremony where they were being sold, as I was getting a work time out and it was time to go back and move some hot sauce down the road. Which I did. Thanks for the time out, Laurie!

It looks like Culebra is getting some serious soaking...maybe I won't be the only one to lose my tan this summer!

Happy Father's Day to all of you Dad's and all of you Mom's who do double duty. Have a Fatherly Sunday! Do something fun!

2 comments:

  1. How stinkin' fun is that!?!? We spent the weekend at Lake Weiss in Alabama where we were "lucky" to see more than three boats or jetskis on the lake at any given time. It is a hidden paradise. Doesn't hurt to have friends with a fabulous house there, either. Keep 'em coming; loving the new feel of the blog.

    xoxo
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good spot, don't tell WHERE, silly! Thanks on the blog-away-from-home comment - I yam where I yam! Even if a piece of me is still firmly planted in Culebra sand...

    ReplyDelete