Sunday, June 13, 2010

Early light and deer surprise


 At 4:30 this morning light coming through the windows woke me up. I was ready to see deer, so on went the jeans, socks, shirt, overshirt and camera for a walkabout. No deer.

Back inside I read for a while about puffins, which, to my surprise, actually nest on two islands off the coast of Maine. I didn't know much about puffins; I thought they lived in the far, far North and more on the Pacific coast. I didn't know they flew. Well, they do fly, since most of the year they live out at sea and their nesting ground (and I mean ground, they lay their eggs in holes in the ground) can be 60 miles away.There is a whole lot of information about the Atlantic Puffin if you are interested, here .

About that time, Laurie came down the stairs, started to say good morning and then just said, very quietly, "MJ," while pointing out the window behind my back. I knew immediately what she meant and turned to see a big doe not far from the window. Of course, my camera was in the kitchen (where I'd left it in case I saw a deer out the kitchen sliding doors), but I got it in time to catch Ms. Doe heading back to the woods - about 30 feet away...


Which was pretty funny. So remember; watch your back, you never know what might be right behind you!

Sunday women, have a great day on the water! I miss you all.

4 comments:

  1. OK - so it's all a bit surreal to see the island woman bloging from Maine and all the sights I am so used to seeing - icluding the moose with the golden wings. Nothing like that first moose sighting, eh? But, I'm delighted you're enjoying it all. Do you have plans to visit Acadia? If not, after the 18th I'm going to have two weeks off before I start my new job - would you like to make a day trip to Acadia?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea about schedules, I'm just a passenger on the fast moving bus. But I'll definitely see you in Boothbay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Island woman. Great posts and pics from Aquarius Artifacts on Mt. Desert Island. It's a lot of fun reading your blog. My last stop by the way on my 2000 mile trek from Key Largo, Florida to Town HIll, Maine, was E. Boothbay. I love it.

    Happy trails,
    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gloria, it was such a joy to meet both of you! Thanks for the name Aquarius Artifacts, I'll add it. And I'm glad you like the blog; it's my version of collection world...

    ReplyDelete