Wednesday, May 11, 2011

It's a girl and an island - Births of two stories


May 11, 1976. A small town. A small hospital. Parents to be. And then, there she was, Sarah Rebekah Shipley. Beautiful. Perfect. A new planet discovered, a new life began. It was time to go home and live a new life.


May 11, 2002. St. Croix. A small plane. A smaller island. A camp ground. A new world discovered, a new life began. It was called home. It was time to begin life again.


I could get all sappy and try to express all the feelings (yes, ALL of them!) I have about Sarah, and about Culebra too. But despite my efforts, how can words express two aspects of my life that have brought me every range of emotion, from huge love to madness, that there is to be had? The top of both lists would be contained in one word, with such very different meanings. Joy. Joy. Joy. Joy.

So happy birthday, Sarah, my bear. I love you. Now, go shopping and eat cheese and drink wine and cook something fabulous. Play and laugh and learn and love. Grow and explore and LIVE! May this year bring you more smiles than you've ever known. Warrior girl! Did I mention, I love you?

Culebra, over these nine years, also brings me joy. Like an adopted daughter, I can't believe the world brought me to you and you to me. I'm so lucky! As I told Felo and his wife this morning, Culebra is two things, a land of beauty, great beauty. And a people that fill me, a family I chose, that gives me so very much. Bring on the lechon and bring on the beauty. Oh wait, it's right here (not the lechon).

2 comments:

  1. Wonderfully said. Isn't it incredible when the things we are passionate about are in our lives. I am glad for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Freakin' Joseph Campbell..."Follow your bliss" and I try to listen to directions! As do you, old friend!

    ReplyDelete