Friday, May 20, 2011

Post dos - Free Range Friday - Salad Days

I've been craving salad the last couple of days but I was waiting for the veggie guy, who, like the Postman's Creed, comes to us rain or shine, all things working right - like the ferry. Or the holiday schedule. And there he was, with some homegrown tomatoes, spinach, shallots, celery and much much more; the wallet dictates in my world, but I could get plenty to make me very happy.


So today's Free Range Friday is simple. And adaptable. To what I made, you can add iceberg, romaine, cabbage (both colors), endive, leaf lettuce, wild greens (careful there), arugula or radicchio. You can add sprouts, mushrooms, cucumbers. You can add broccoli and cauliflower and zucchini. You can add chicken or fish or beef or pork. You get the idea. That's what I love about salads...the limit is only your imagination or available ingredients - as we know so well here. But thanks to the veggie guy, our choices are wider and we thank him. Thanks, Luis!

And how will you dress your salad? The very best way is to make your own dressings. If you eat salad for health reasons as well as pleasure, you might as well not wreck it with a dressing filled with horrible ingredients. To get your imagination started, check this page for some great recipes and ideas. If that seems like too much trouble, and sometimes it does to me, a splash of rice vinegar and some good olive oil, along with a hit of salt and pepper (and I add garlic powder as well) works fine!




I'm having his cousin (all natural, from Superette Myra's, if you want some) for dinner, marinaded (in the really wonderful Asian Ginger dressing/marinade from the veggie guy), then broiled. Garlic added. Of course.

Buen provecho!

No comments:

Post a Comment