Thursday, November 3, 2011

Free Range Friday on Thursday

It is Thursday, I'm pretty sure. Tomorrow I'll be up in the wee hours to bake bread, so I figured, since I actually cooked something sort of interesting yesterday evening AND remembered to take a photo of it, I'd make today Free Range. And maybe from now on, though Free Range Thursday lacks a little in the roll-off-the-tongue factor...


We've been getting some beautiful showers here, well unless you are trying to do much outdoors beside pull weeds, The cisterns and plants are happy though and the wafting coolness in the air has lifted my energy levels. Which is a good thing because I have lots to do and I think the idea of being curled up with a book and a cup of tea would be the alternative.

Tomorrow, I'll come home from my yearly House/dog/cats Sitting on the Hill gig (CWIM is happy about that), so the going back home routine is in high gear. That means getting rid of little tidbits of food that aren't quite enough to either leave for the home owners or take home myself.

There I was, hungry, with some rosemary garlic bread (shocking, I know), a couple of eggs, a half inch of sharp cheddar...what to do? That's when it occurred to me to make a savory French toast with all of it. So I did!

Savory French Toast with Melted Cheese (and a bite missing)


This recipe serves one but can easily be adjusted to the amount of people you'll be feeding. It would also depend on the size of the bread used; this wasn't a huge loaf. The truth is, the recipe is ridiculously easy; the exciting part is I'd never thought of making savory French toast before, and it was great!

Two slices of an herbed type of bread
2 eggs
Minced basil
Cheese (I had sharp cheddar and it worked)
Finely minced garlic (or garlic powder if necessary)
Salt and pepper to taste

Beat the eggs, salt, pepper and garlic in a container big enough to soak the two pieces of bread.

Place the bread in the egg. You want to REALLY soak them, so let them sit awhile before carefully turning them over to soak on the other side.

Heat about a tablespoon of oil in the pan over a fairly high heat, the same as you would use for French toast.. If you have a flavored oil, all the better!

With a spatula (or your hands if you are careful), place the egg soaked bread in the oiled pan.
Let cook two or three minutes and gently lift a corner of the bread to check the color. If it is a nice golden brown, turn both pieces over.

Place the slivers of cheese on the cooked side of the bread, patting it gently down with the spatula. Let cook another two or three minutes, or until golden brown on the bottom.

Remove from the pan and serve (I always wondered at this direction in a recipe...I mean, do people just eat out of the pan if it doesn't say this?)

Wa la! Savory French toast. Buen provecho!

Have a tasty Thursday! Do something toasty.

2 comments:

  1. What do you do after you serve it? Are you supposed to eat it? Why doesn't it say that in the directions?

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark, I don't know how things go where you live, but around here? With those questions? You send out a lifeline. ;)

    ReplyDelete