Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Ophidiophobia? Stop Reading Now!

Yesterday was another of those stunningly knock your eyes out down to your soul beautiful days. It was also really hot. I drink a lot of water these days, as does everyone I know...we sort of float through the heat, encountering each other with air kisses because of our sweaty cheeks, muttering mucho calor! The beauty carries us through. We know coolness is coming, along with what might be an La Nina winter. The nice part is, we can always look up and see it...if we wipe the sweat out of our eyes. We can jump right into it, cooling ourselves in the best way I know.


Mount St. Thomas, so close and so far away

After working in the early part of the day (and showering yet again, then spending some serious time sitting in front of the fan), I was heading over to Genesis, my neighborhood food store, to pick up something that ended up not being there - not surprising as delivery day from the big island is today - when I glanced at the afternoon sky over my shoulder. While not dramatic, it was filled with streaks of color, some almost looking green. I had a decision; walk back down through my yard to where there was less obstructing foliage, or try to get higher from the road side, see if I could get a decent shot and get to the store before it closed. I chose lazy. 

Next decision. There was the old foundation of a house to climb on to get a better horizon.  I took this shot, and  didn't really like it. Go on or give up? Oh come on, you know what I did.


The streaks were so panoramic, I just wasn't getting it. Then I saw an old cistern that would give me a broader view if I just stood on the edge of it. I stepped onto it carefully, as it was open, old, and filled with nasty water, old junk and...a snake. Ok, not FILLED with a snake, Since the biggest snake I'd ever seen on Culebra until then was about five inches long (I've seen lizards bigger), it just looked like a big snake at the first moment.

Senor Culebra
I could tell it wanted out, headed up the wall. But I wasn't really worried, because it also wasn't moving. At all. And it was too pretty not to take a few shots, which I did, forgetting completely about any sky photos. It kept not moving, I kept on clicking. Not wanting to press my luck, I bid it buenos tardes and continued on my quest.

I've not seen many snakes on Culebra, in fact there are only four kinds in all of Puerto Rico (and not all of them are everywhere, for example, one kind is only found on Vieques) and many people never see one at all. If you are interested in the snakes of PR. here is a basic article about them. I'm not knowledgeable enough to recognize this particular snake, just guessing it's a Puerto Rican Racer, but someone out there is and I'd love to know its name?

Have a non-timid Tuesday! Do something tantalizing.

6 comments:

  1. Great shots! It's surprising to me that it's hot there, while it's so cool here, with our wind from the north.
    Maybe the snake just fell in, and couldn't get out? I think you should go back and check, maybe put a leaning stick in so he can climb out. If he's still there.
    I have arachnophobia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, maybe I'll check in awhile. I did send someone over to check him out, but didn't think about him not being able to get free. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, nice MJ! I stumbled on a NAT Geo show one time (I know, you can't watch it there) called Python Hunters, but they were in Puerto Rico (big island) and covered the PR Racer and I think another native only to PR snake, talking about how rare they are to find and what cool snakes they are! Went out and found a couple too. Then they went into how the Iguanas are an invasive non-native species and they caught a bunch of those. It was a pretty interesting show. http://natgeotv.com/asia/python-hunters/about

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the link and the info! I'll be checking it out. Yes, iguanas are an invasive non-native (who love to eat my orchids, damn them!). Luckily, we don't have mongoose, a disastrous non-native on so many islands.

    I'll check out the Nat Geo link; they usually can't go wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The iguanas look fairly meaty - anyone know any good recipes? BTW we've seen a snake a few times by the garbage can on the way to Carlos Rosario.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You mean, you've seen the infamous Rosario Garbage Can Snake??? Wow! Just kidding.

    People do eat iguanas (I don't know about here) in lots of places. I'd try one.

    Here is a very weird recipe I don't understand...but, hey, I've never cooked an iguana either.

    IGUANA EN PINOL

    Read more about it at www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1918,152162-226204,00.html
    Content Copyright © 2011 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.

    1 Iguana - female
    3 sour oranges (acid)
    1 garlic bulb
    4 lg. onions
    1 tsp. black pepper (grain)
    12 c. water
    1 lb. dry corn (powdered)
    1 tsp. REO PEPPER
    3/4 bottle of pork grease
    Salt to taste

    The first day:

    After the Iguana has been killed, open the stomach and below, take out the eggs and intestines. Clean the eggs very well with the sour oranges. Put the eggs in the arms with the Iguana in all its skin.

    Later in the day cook the eggs in salt water for 10 minutes, then let them sit in the water until they are cold. Store them in refrigerator.

    Early the following day soak the Iguana in cold water. Skin it and wash it once more. Cut the Iguana into small pieces and cook it with 8 cups of water with salt, garlic, sliced onion, and black pepper. Grind it into a "Soft Mass" and mix it with the gravy.

    Cook the corn in water until soft, then brown it (not too darkly) and grind to a lumpy mass. Take 4 cups of this corn, mix with the gravy and Iguana and cook, stirring constantly until it is well cooked.

    In 2 1/2 cups of pork grease, fry 3 onions (chopped fine) until clear and light brown.

    Set aside a few onions. With the rest, add the powdered pepper, Iguana mixture, more salt, sour oranges, and, if necessary, more pork grease. Do not let get too dry.

    Form a large rounded shape in a serving dish and create an indentation in the center.

    Yes, it ends that abruptly. Freakin' weird!

    ReplyDelete