Thursday, November 24, 2011

Officially Thankful

Today is the official American holiday of thanks, based on a strange fun house mirror image of history. But I sweep all that aside (not because it doesn't matter, regular readers know my rants on injustice to oh so many), but because Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. It's not too terribly commercialized; in fact, it's run over by the tank of the next holiday. It is, traditionally for me, about families and friends gathering and memories of past Thanksgivings with ones I love only here in spirit now, about being thankful for what we have in a conscious way.

And I am. My children, my grandchildren, my brother, my friends - I'm so blessed with true friends. This crazy, beautiful little island I call home, her people. The casita I live in, the cat who shares it with me. You, the readers of this bit of my head and heart I send out, bytes of bread on cyber waters. The chances I've had and taken that turned out with me being thankful, even if I didn't get it at the time. Getting older and being glad about it, even when the mirror takes me by surprise.

I got a call from Mary Ann, who told me she had a story for my blog, complete with photo. She was at Dinghy Dock when Rob called her from his boat. He was out on a charter off of Tamarindo,  when he saw a deer, chased into the water by dogs, start swimming to Luis Pena. He tried to gently shoo it back to the beach but it wasn't going to do that. It was obvious it was struggling and in trouble, so Rob tried to rescue it. Apparently though, it was literally scared to death. He called Mary Ann to ask her what the rules and regs were for such an event. Could he keep the deer? Did he need to report it?


Mary Ann told him that if it was documented the fact that he had truly tried to save the deer, he could keep it. Had he someone who could take a photo of him, trying to give the deer mouth to mouth resuscitation? He said, really? She said yes. He thought about it and decided that wasn't happening. Then he thought about it some more and realized that Mary Ann had been joking. "I almost DID that!" he said, while she laughed.

Instead, some friends who know what to do will do it, and the deer will be on the table for Thanksgiving. Another unforgettable Culebra meal and story, for which I am thankful. Thanks, Mary Ann, your sense of humor never ceases to catch me by surprise. Thanks, Rob, for trying to save the deer and for making sure his demise was not in vain. Thanks, whoever takes care of the deer. Thanks, charter guests, helping out in a weird situation.

Thanks, Culebra, for all the strange, weird and wonderful.

Now it's time to go back to makin' turkey and stuffin'. I'm in the midst of emailing my daughter back and forth (I know, people text, but I don't) who is about three steps ahead of me on the dressing. Which only means her kitchen smells better than mine earlier.

Have a great day of thankfulness. If you are lucky enough to have family you love with you (yep, that's a qualifier), lucky you! I will blow kisses and hugs from here to mine by blood and share the day with my family by heart, incredibly blessed to have food, clothing and shelter. Speaking of shelter, here is a great video, enjoy.

Have a Thankful Thursday (you saw that coming a mile away). Do something tantalizing.

10 comments:

  1. I have heard that if you shoot a deer, and it is an instant kill, the meat will be good. But if the deer doesn't die immediately, the adrenaline will make the meat taste 'gamey'. That deer is probably adrenalineized.
    I had forgotten all about thanksgiving till I started reading blogs this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hysterical! I expect to see the rack on the wall at Dinghy Dock, Rob!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the same about the adrenaline but people here know how to cook! I'm sure it will be delicious.

    American friends of mine around the world that I know celebrate T'day if they can and improvise if they can't, but yes, when not in the States it's easy to forget...it's a big deal here and on the big island because we take any excuse to be with family and friends and PARTY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Debbie, that's a GREAT idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know you don't want to hear this --
    I just googled "can deer swim" and it appears they can swim good and for long distances.
    Like most times in nature, we should just leave well enough alone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shhhhh...no one is supposed to find out about the sense of humor.

    It's clear that you could step into our family Tday traditions without missing a beat. Looking forward to tomorrow's entry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pat, we know deer can swim; they've been swimming back and forth between the islands for a long, long time. But this one was in trouble and that is not the same thing. It would have just drowned otherwise - yes, that would have been nature but Rob's human nature was to try to help him. But thanks for your input.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Thanksgiving MJ!! We are so sad to not be there this year, but have a nice, stress-free, family- and mimosa-filled day planned to channel the Culebra vibe. Of course, being here we have a fire in the fireplace in lieu of a chair at the beach, but at least the sun is shining!!

    I love Debbie's idea too! Can't wait to see that head on the wall at Dinghy Dock, it will look awesome with all the license plates! Enjoy the venison, I'm sure it will be delicious. Miss you!! XOXOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sue, it was a very very good day, full of heart friends, laughter and all things good. I'll have to ask how the venison meal went (that was about their meal), and of course will report. I didn't see Rob, to encourage the rack on da wall, but I will, if it's not too late

    Hoping your day was full of warmth from more than the fire (you know I love that image in my head). I love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Doug, hope you enjoyed the post! We all had a great time. Life is good.

    ReplyDelete