Sunday, November 20, 2011

More This and That Culerba Randomness

The 'Little House' in Boothbay Harbor, Maine
As most of you who read this blog know, I'm a big fan of tiny homes (good thing, since I live in one), and take photos of them where ever I go. I've watched the 'tiny home movement' get bigger and bigger as the years (and the economy) pass by, seeing some who are drawn because of need financially become aware of the many levels of freedom that come along in a Less is More style of life. All that to say, while I'm always preaching buy local and make it yourself, one gift you might consider this year, for someone else or for yourself, is a book by another man I tend to go on about, Lloyd Kahn, of Shelter fame. Lloyd's latest book, Tiny Homes, Simple Shelter, can be ordered now, but won't be available until February (I think), but if you want something to sit down with to help you dream a dream into reality, this is one of the good pushes.

free use by wikipedia
From the simple sublime to the simple sub-air level...I read this article yesterday and was really surprised. One of those craft things that occasionally come my way (the logic of the internet brain? interested in gardening, cooking, tiny homes...AH HA, must be interested in crafts! which I'm not, except from an admirer's viewpoint). I thought it was pretty great because it was so simple and has such a nice effect. I don't pay much attention to things like bath salts, maybe because I've not been a tub owner in a long, long, long time...but if you have and use a tub and you want a treat (or you want to give a treat, which is the whole purpose of this article I think), here you go! You can get fancier with it, but if you want simple, there it is. Crap, I took more time to write that than it will take you to make this.

Yesterday was pretty quiet around here. The mayor's funeral happened, lines of cars going by and an actual hearse (usually it is a truck bed or sometimes Michael's horse drawn carriage, which I think is really beautiful), and a line of vehicles heading to the cemetery. I watched them go by...

The air was soft, all day long. And quiet, even when it got breezy. Breathtaking heat is becoming a calender page we've turned, regaining some energy and not watering with sweat - it's so nice to greet a friend without both saying, Sorry for the sweaty cheeks! This is what it was like from my yard...





When I turned to come back inside (the air may be balmy but it is still full of mosquitoes at dusk if you live by mangroves) Miz CWIM was watching...and waiting for her humble servant to serve her dinner. And of course, living to serve her, said humble servant did just that.


Have a sedate (not sedated) Sunday. Do something stately.

4 comments:

  1. Have a sedate stately Sunday is a bit more tolerable than "have a nice day".
    Yikes ! When I hear "have a nice day" lately, I respond with a smiling "no thank you".
    Do you get no see 'ums from the mangroves. I moved here to fl. and the neighbors say all the no see um's come from the mangroves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like small homes too. Most people nowadays build and fill up the whole yard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't mind hearing 'have a nice day' and always have wondered about the problem with it; even in books, certain nationalities mention the triteness of it...well yes, maybe it's cliche but it's better than hearing whining or a turned away face expressing no interest...banal but what's wrong with it? And a lot of the time, people really mean it! In a world of lessening manners and kindness, I'm all for anything the opposite!

    We have no-see-ums, sorta-see-ums and see-ums of many kinds, near the mangroves and lots of other spots too...I don't think they 'come from' the mangroves, it's just that there is probably brackish water for breeding that makes them worse in spots like that. Having grown up in Florida, and being one of those that attracts stinging creatures, you're in for a bug adventure! Part of the price of paradox.

    Have a nice day!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark, I saw a lot of that when I was back in Florida visiting friends...charming old, small, Florida homes (often built with Dade County pine, which no termite can penetrate and now extinct) replaced by McMansions, lot edge to lot edge...ARGH!

    ReplyDelete