Monday, January 7, 2013

All the Kings Horses and All the Kings ~ Where?

Yesterday was Three Kings Day, one of my favorite times on Culebra. The Three Kings arrive - that is, after the children have put their boxes of grass under their beds and gone to sleep, knowing the camels will need some food to eat while the Kings leave presents. Yes, it sounds as much a Houdini trick as Santa down the chimneys on his world tour, but it happens, year in and year out. Unless, of course, the children are awake, in which case they are out of present luck. Apparently the camels as well as the Kings, are quite shy of wide awake children.


Because I had some work to do early in the morning, with the scheduled arrival of the Three Kings around 9:30, I figured I'd missed the whole thing. The horses, the Kings, the fun of the day. But I found out that no! As per Culebra time, the Kings were coming to the park a few hours late, in time for me to see them and watch the kids. Hooray!

Windy and cloudy, it was still bright and shiny
It isn't far from where I live to the park, so I took my time. That was my first mistake. There is a funny thing about time here. Almost every 'event' that happens, happens late. But once it starts, it is on. My dilly-dallying had me arriving just as a trash truck was pulling up to the gate of the park, a pretty good clue it was done. No, I didn't take a photo, it would be as sad as a Christmas tree on the curb, tinsel tangled and spent.

A few adults and children wandered around, most helping take down and carry out the structures and debris left over from food stands and gifts galore. I asked a friend if the Three Kings were anywhere to be found and was told they were probably in a bar nearby. For any children reading this, that was a joke. But just in case it wasn't...I did look. No Kings.

But the sun was still shining...sort of
So I missed the Kings, but then I was told I hadn't missed the horses! Probably my MOST favorite parade that happens here, I was delighted that I hadn't missed this part. They would be at Happy Landing, gathering for their ride to town around 1. Okay, I knew that 1 was not really the time, but asking at the bar, I was told again, yes, 1 or 2, they'd be there.

Happy Landings is halfway between where I live and town. After turning in a couple of circles of indecision, to the amusement of a few guys holding up the walls of the sewer building (a living metaphor), I headed to town. How could I miss? If I didn't catch them at Happy Landing, they'd be coming to town, right? Sure they would.

Good things about being in town when it's quiet; noticing what was overlooked in crowded holiday moments, like every tree having a wreath this year. It's pretty and very Culebra.
I found out there had been a raffle on the little casitas. Of course, I found this out AFTER the raffle, because there is a secret coconut telegraph here on Culebra that I will never, ever know about. Anyway, there was this raffle and this little girl was one of the winners of one of my chicken coops the casitas, which I am sure will be a magical spot for her and her friends even though it should have been my chicken coop. I'm so happy for her.


The not Chapman approved style of securing a vessel to a bollard. This has nothing to do with Three Kings Day, except that I saw it ON Three Kings Day, but it did distract me from thinking some not quite tender thoughts involving the joy of a child. My bad.



I thought I hadn't quite wasted enough time, so I checked out the Chinese place once again. It just seemed like the right thing to do. Town was really quiet, the usual suspects in place. Maybe I was after something Culebra normalo.

This is part of the upscale. A new light fixture, a couple of good fortune cats, an interesting collection of beer and you might get lucky. Probably you'll just get beer.
No horses arrived. Then I was told they wouldn't be around until closer to 5. I was told this by a guy who knows these things, who told me in the tone of voice you would tell a child that no, the Three Kings will not be coming until you are asleep, just like every year. And that's when I gave it up.

No Kings and no horses for me. It's happened before. It will happen again. Maybe next year I won't feed the grass to the chickens. Word must have gotten out. Horses and chickens just might have their own pipeline of information. Maybe I'll hang out with a kid all day next year. Maybe not.

It was just another day in Paradox. A little birdie told me so.
Ah well. It was a good walkabout on a windy, cloudy day. At midnight on the oasis, it was time to send my camels to bed.

Have a make your own music Monday. Do something mellow.

8 comments:

  1. The horse "parade" appeared to have kicked off around 4:30ish from Happy Landing. 5-7 guys on horses. That was it. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just got the official word - there was NO horse parade officially, for whatever reason; it wasn't planned on or planned out. Hopefully, next year we will go back to tradition! Thanks, though, for the sighting!

      Delete
  2. How many casitas and did she win them all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were two casitas and she won one of them. I forget who won the other one. Lucky them!!!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like fun. Great photos, as usual!
    28 izaewo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun in an odd way (it's Culebra, that's pretty normal). Thanks, on the photos, glad you enjoyed them.

      Delete
  4. as to the bollard - if you can't tie knots, tie lots! m

    ps only anonymous till i see what else i can be? derp!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good saying; I don't think the ferry was going anywhere! Looking forward to what you come up with. Anonymous is such a common name (and I had to look up derp...South Park came about when I was teaching - I lived it too much to watch it). I'm taking a risk here and assuming you mean the slang, not the Denver Employees Retirement Plan.

    ReplyDelete