Friday, January 4, 2013

It's Baaaaaaaack!!! Dinghy Dock, That Is.


It's no secret to anyone who reads this blog that my favorite bar is Dinghy Dock. Not easy to say when pretty good friends own many of the bar and restaurants on Culebra. But after living on St. Croix quite a few years, with my favorite bar being Stixx on Christansted harbour (STX = St. Croix = Stixx, now you are in the picture - of course, they called the sister restaurant on St. Thomas Stixx as well...I guess Stitt's would not quite have worked), it's not a far ball toss that I love the location of Dinghy Dock. Bonus! I really liked the owner and most of the bartenders and most of the servers (hey they change, but some didn't and the owner didn't and I liked them very much, okay, I love them very much).

First view of the newold Dinghy Dock

Kelli already hard at work behind the bar, with some of the usual suspects already in place
Apparently, the great crew that used to run Mamacita's felt the same. When Neil decided to head to Flamenco and give Wanda a hand running the kiosko there, taking Bartender Steve with him, Kelli, Dale, Shay and Jean Francois decided that that bigger waterfront, that open space, was just the place to flex their restaurant and bar skills.

Kelli and Shay (with our as yet unknown newest member of the family)
Jean Francois (aka Frenchy) looking quite chic
I, for one and a whole lot of other regulars are delighted they did. These young people are the age of my own children, and I'm almost as proud of them as if they were. Their energy, dedication (did you see them painting away on Christmas Day?), and love of what they are doing is contagious and I wish them all the best.

You could drop in any day during the last few months and see so many people, good friends, many of whom took time out from their own businesses, working hard to get things clean, painted, rebuilt and newly built; the result being something new that still has the same good feeling of what was best about Dinghy Dock - a fun, casual vibe on the waterfront. There are still a few more tweaks ahead. Kelli says hopefully the restaurant will open this weekend ~ but like I heard from at least half a dozen people, the waiting and hard work was well worth the result.
As their good friends, some of whom own or work at bars and restaurants of their own, came in flocks to wish them well, I was gladly reminded of one of the things I love about Culebra. These folks are friends, good friends, like Nestor and Annabelle, with Vibra Verde. Steve the Bartender, Mike from The Sandbox Bar and others. Some are related (and best of friends!) like Monika, Kelli's sister, of Zaco's Taco's, and...well, you get the idea. The point is, when a visitor said last night, you all seem like you all know each other! I could say, yes, we do! Welcome to the fun in the dysfunctional family we call Culebra. No, I didn't really say that. I just said yes we do. I'm pretty sure.




With Greg's sailboat on the new and gorgeous dock (and safe; as funny as it was to jump on that one board and come close to flipping the bar stool, I didn't start wearing sandals with toe protectors for nothing), everything felt in its place.


The Mike's
Kelli on a time out with Olivia
I'm not sure what Kai was showing Olivia. but obviously it was something good.
I am going to blame the transparent Chris G and person unknown on my newbie camera skills. Either that, or this camera is a lot more powerful than I imagined.
Joe showed up, of course. The man cleans up real good!
It was my time to head home. I stopped by Heather's on the way, it looked so good and so did she.

La Boa Brava

 Thanks for the great time, Dinghy Dock crew! The first of many to follow.

Have a follow your friends Friday. Do something faithfully.






11 comments:

  1. Nice pictures. I like the cart at the end

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mark. A lot of great items in that cart!

      Delete
  2. New camera is taking great photos. Happiest of New Years to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm liking the camera more and more! Happy new year to you as well.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photos of my favorite place! Such good news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will all be waiting for you both when you get back here!

      Delete
  4. Remember when you came to St. Thomas to visit me and I was working at Stixx and I quit in the middle of my shift flicking the bartender off on our way out? Got such a better job on a boat after that...even though I was nearly killed by an anchor at one point....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do remember that. And I remember her (I even remember her name; don't tick off the Mama). Another STT story. Wish you were still that close!

      Delete
    2. Thanx so much for the great early pics of DD! Cant' wait to see it all "live!" Will be there in a few days. Thank you for sharing!!

      Delete
  5. MJ: Susan sent me this blog and I was thrilled to learn about all the bustle and excitement surrounding the opening of the new Dinghy Dock. I enjoyed the photos enormously, but enjoyed even more your personal comments and observations along the way. You bring it all to life. Totally fun to read!

    Thank you. And please include me on your list of bloggees in future postings. -- Mark [mgabor@nyc.rr.com]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mark, glad you like the blog! You can get it in your email. At the almost top of the page, on the left, right under my profile, there is a 'subscribe' box. Fill it out and you should get the blog daily (unless I miss a day or so!). Let me know if you have any problems with that.

      Delete