Thursday, January 24, 2013

Whims of Cyber, Whims of Mine

Yesterday my connection to the world via a little plastic box was lost. No phone, no internet, no nothing. I got a lot done! It was really pretty wonderful except for the parts that weren't. Power was just returned a little while ago, I strive to deliver!

Power to the world came late, but that was AFTER the bread experiement, which I might have put off longer had I had options. Mainly because I was worried it wouldn't work. but hooray!! It looks like I'll be back in the bread biz after all, thanks to some long conversations with my daughter Sarah over possible options. While I will admit lusting over her new KitchenAid professional mixer, my bought-from-a-friend-who didn't-use it 14 year old model just needed one accessory to allow it the means for the job. Let's see...500.00 or 24.00? I can paint it tangerine myself for that savings!

The first photo I took showed me oops, that wasn't rust, it was...schmutz! Just so you know, writing blog posts can be clean inspiring. Maybe I'll paint it 'bread dough' brown

One batch of rye coming up! Woo hoo!!!
(Quick explanation if you haven't been paying attention: Long standing and worsening injury to my arm was preventing me from making bread without mechanical assistance. Now I've got it!)

I don't go out for lunch nearly as much since I'm not working in town, but that streak was broken for two days in a row this week. A friend and I realized we'd not tried out the new eatery in town, Alilulu's and thought we'd give it a try. We got there early and checked out the pernil and pastrami sandwiches, made by Ali. They were great, especially the pastrami. Plus, with the big windows you can see out of but not into (pretty much) made it like watching a movie of town. Lots of people we know walked by, and lots of tourists. Something different, someplace different. Check it out!


****WARNING! NEXT PHOTO IS NOT FOR VEGETARIAN VIEWING!****

The next day I was walking by El Batey and saw smoke rising from the bbq pit. Tomas was out there checking on the pig and invited me back to take some photos. Which was a good thing since I was already rising up on aroma and might have tried to scale the fence if he hadn't asked.


As he checked the tenderness and tapped on the crisp skin, with the combination of charcoal and meat in the air, I made an order for an hour later before I was done taking photos. I asked the same friend about joining me and getting a resounding YES we sat down an hour or so later to my order with extra crunchiness and her's the regular. Lechon, arroz con gandules, a slice of perfect avocado and pasta salad...heaven on a plate and enough to take home for dinner later. Where's the photo, you ask. I literally had the camera on the table while we waited, to take a photo of the serving, but...somehow forgot to do that until too late. Oops!

There are some really beautiful boats in the harbour right now. This one especially caught my attention. 


Every once in awhile, the grounds of the house across the street from Milka's get all cleaned up. And the jeep in the carport becomes much more obvious. Just like my very occasional vehicle lust.


It is almost time to pop some bread in the oven and see what happens next. I'm still in shock over how well the new bread paddle worked; for some reason, when gadgets work as they are supposed to work, I'm always surprised and extraordinarily pleased but still hold a shade of disbelief and a wee bit of doubt that it could possibly be repeated. This time, I think I'll go the optimist's route and believe . Shhhhhh. 

Have a tried and true Thursday! Do something trusting.

7 comments:

  1. Great shots. Love the Willys
    aimplaci 1265

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Willys jeeps. Used to have a Willy's pick up truck many moons ago and still miss it.

      Delete
  2. ♪She can dance a Cajun rhythm♪
    Jump like a Willys ♫ in four wheel drive
    ♪She's a summer ♫ love in the spring, fall and winter
    She can make happy any man alive♫

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I love the Willy's shot too! So glad you're back in "Dough Biz"....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dammit. Why didn't I think of giving you my old KitchenAid, so that I can get a new one? I inherited it from my grandmother and it's probably 50 years old. It only works up to speed 6. PERFECT for Culebra, and I've been jonesing for a new one, but it's too hard to give it up because it came from my grandma. I would have totally given it up to you. Dammit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feel better, I already had the mixer! I didn't have a paddle that worked right until we/I realized they made one that would do the job. Want a brand new used once kitchenaid food processor? I have one for sale and it's a beauty ;) Bought it to use for hot sauce and it isn't what I needed. Big oopsy.

      Delete