Monday, January 21, 2013

Ramblin' Here and There

The sun has come up golden this morning. But yesterday, on and off - with a lot more on - looked like this.


So while I did get out, though not far about, yesterday, it wasn't difficult to stay home and drink tea, read and catch up on 'things I want to look at online and don't because I think I'll come back to them later except I forget to do that' stuff. There were some gems out there.

The following video is from a friend on St. Croix. I'm not sure what spot she was taking this from in Frederiksted, but obviously not from from the cruise ship dock. It took me awhile to figure it out...ok, I had to ask Jan what it was, but it has a weird allure to it. One part of me imagines the noise and turbulence and winces. Another part of me says, That would be WAY big fun! I think the wincing part is winning but it is very fun to watch in a snake charmer sort of way.


Thanks, Jan Lyon Bennett (of Sun Lyon Studio, maker of some very unique nature infused and gently/strongly powerful jewelry, as well as very cool whistles), for seeing and capturing the aliens. Yesno, I didn't wait for permission, you'll have to come over here and we'll discuss the issue very seriously at a bar I know you'll love. (Edit to add: permission granted!)

There is an aspect of the internet that drives me up the wall and it is so pervasive, that when you see the opposite of what has now become the norm, it is very refreshing. I'm talking about photos of places, well, of anything, but especially places in this case, with no reference to where it is or who took the photo. I plead guilty to doing the same a few times but I'm trying really hard not to do that anymore, and when I run across something that captures my imagination, I am now tracking it down and sourcing it on the site responsible for NOT sourcing it. Yes, I'm extending my bitchiness to the internet in hopefully more constructive ways.

One very cool tool in being responsible to give credit and just more information about someplace that someone took the time to photograph and post is to use Google images. If you aren't familiar with it, it works very simply.

Take the photo and download it to your desktop, or copy it, however you do that. Then click on the images icon from Google.com. The box will have a little camera in it. Click on the camera and upload the photo, or paste it, whichever you are most comfortable with. Up will come a mess of responses, usually pintrest (one of the worst offenders of this not quite a crime, but some people DO look for info and post it), or adverts, but if you read the blurb next to the photo you'll find some thread to catch (usually) to follow back to the original post and the rest of the story.

Then, delete the photo! Don't use it for wallpaper, print it out, make a cup or tee-shirt with it, unless you get permission from the photographer. Easy peasy.

Did I mention I briefly met Delilah Rose???
All of the above to say this! A photo was posted last evening that really, really, really caught my attention. You all know I love tiny houses and something about this place...

The photo that first caught my attention is this one. I've tried, a lot, to find out who the photographer is and failed (if someone comes across the name, I'd be grateful - feel free to let me know so I can ask forgiveness before I got permission). But I can tell you some of the story.

credit unknown
This is the cocina for a beach hut or cabin in Cabo Polonio, Uraguay. If you want to see the rest of this place, and if you are of the mindset of most of the people who read this blog, you most certainly do want to see it, go right here to espacioLiving. I used Google translate to read the story, though I'd found it on another design site, by another writer, in English. 

Even with the crap translation, this story is much more informative. It tells about how (be ready to weep soon) the present owner was so in love with the original cabin and setting that she tracked down the former owners to the Canary Islands. They were so impressed with her tenacity that they GAVE her the property, with a caveat that she had to keep on the current cleaning woman. No wonder this place throws off such good vibes! 

I know I shouldn't use another photo, but I really can't stand not to do exactly that. 

photo credit: unknown
There is just something about this place. And the more I read about where it is, the more I'm drawn in. No amenities and I mean, none. Well, you can buy food (or go fishing?)... You can read more facts about Cabo Polonio, population 95 as of 2011, here, and of course, there are more stories if you care to track them down. I'm very thankful Ivan was elected, as this place would have been a big contender for a Plan C.

Don't ask about Plan B. I'm not sayin'.

Did I mention this goose scared me big time by darting out from behind a tree as I was walking by? I have a VERY healthy respect for geese...this photo is from across the street.



credit: official WH photographer (?)
The inauguration of President Obama and Vice-President Biden is being broadcast today. While the feeling of this day last time was wild enthusiasm and quite a few glad tears, it is tempered this year by the realization that - it ain't easy, bein' Prez.

That's as political as I'm going to get here; enjoy it. My main feeling is continued hope, that forward movement will continue or begin and that both of them and their families stay strong and courageous. Congratulations!

And to our own Mayor, Ivan Solis, happy birthday!!

Have a mete out much mirthfulness Monday! Do something merry.

2 comments:

  1. I really like the photos of the beach shack. Beware of geese, there was a flock on the beach a few years ago and they would attack you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, they are great guard birds! And yes, that shack is...amazing.

      Delete