Friday, March 7, 2014

Free Range Friday ~ Here and There

Have you ever made churrasco? I did, once before, and it was nothing like the amazingly delicious churrasco I've eaten in restaurants here. Maybe because I had no clue what I was doing. I still don't, but I can follow a recipe. I'm such a liar.

Ok, truth: I can't follow a recipe. I always have to improvise; it's a compulsion. So my marinade for the churrasco I haven't grilled yet is everything in the recipe link, but with a lot of orange juice and onion and some jerk seasoning that Cape Cod Steve made. What's in his jerk seasoning? I have no idea, but it's delicious - spicy hot with depths of flavor and I am lucky enough to get some on his visits down here. So why not throw that in to something I'll cook tomorrow on the grill? Of course I will. And did. I'll ask him what's in it tonight. With a notebook in hand. This should be good...

Onions, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, olive oil, orange juice, coriander, jerk seasoning. I left out the sugar, probably should have put it in since the recipe guy swears it's the secret ingredient but...I didn't. Oh, and my favorite way to marinade, in a ziplock bag. Yes, it's plastic. Yes, it's bad. Yes, it's still my favorite way to marinade. I also use bowls or pans, but this was available and I used it. It's all about balancing conviction with sanity. 




The other food this week is lettuce. Splurging on some hydroponic lettuce last week, I finished it off and realized just what was on the bottom. A sort of little box of dirt and new roots. Really? Could I make it grow again, like I would if I was growing it myself, where you chop off some and then let it keep growing? Well, yes. I can. And I am.

On one side is where I chopped it off. On the other? New lettuce!

Still rooting.

Once I took the rubber band off, I have all of these babies. I'm letting them soak in water right now, but I'll plant them in dirt soon. Hydroponics is a neat way to garden, but I'm a dirt person.
These are incomplete food projects, but they are what's going on. However! what I really want to let you know - and plenty do already but that's okay, reminders are good - concerns a recent food study about yet another chemical used for years in many food products. Everything we consume, everything we make for family and friends and strangers to eat, should only have one main ingredient and that is love. Sounds hokey, I know, but it's true. There shouldn't be hidden surprises that might unknowingly be putting your health at risk.

"One thing is clear: ADA is not food, as food has been defined for most of human history."

The word 'chemical' is neither good nor bad, the air we breathe is a chemical. Organic soil and food is full of chemicals. WE are chemical constructions. The line is drawn about which chemicals we want to consume and their effects on us. This report is about azodicarbonamide, or ADA as it's commonly known. I'm going to let you read it for yourself. It is straighforward, leaving out alarmist jargon, with lots of links to follow up on. Check it out, know what you're eating and decide for yourselves.
It would be nice if I could just say, hey! stay away from fast foods and you'll be okay. That's a good idea but it isn't enough anymore. Healthy alternatives aren't easy (especially around here, where shopping 'pure' is pretty close to impossible without ordering ingredients or going off island), everyone has to decide what is worth doing for good health.

I was born 100 years too late. Now, it's all about balance. It's always about balance.

Zoni beach art
Have a find out Friday. Do something feastable.

p.s. Welcome, Tina and Mark!!! So glad you reached.

No comments:

Post a Comment