Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Bird watching

I remember the first time I saw these birds, one perched on top of a mast of a boat at anchor. I thought it looked like a parrot and got out my binoculars. Someone next to me told me it was a black parrot. Then someone said, no such thing. Regardless, I keep seeing them, sometimes in my yard, these were up the street from me. So if you know the real name of these birds, feel free to comment - please! They sure look like parrots to me! ]

Seeing them started me thinking (again) about the birds of Puerto Rico. Truthfully, I don't know nearly what I could know about our birds other than the obvious ones like frigates and some of the different gulls and terns. And flamingos. And hummingbirds. And of course, pelicans. Ok, a few more as well, but not enough! In winter there are bird walks here you can sign up for (I'll post when they start if they haven't started already). I know a number of people on Culebra who are really knowledgeable about the birds who live and visit here and I want to be one of them; at least more than now. I think it's called getting off my butt and getting out there...oh right!

In the meantime, wikipedia has a good list of birds with photos that can be seen in Puerto Rico, including Culebra, Vieques and Mona island. Check it out.

This morning one of the hummers was so loud zipping around I think he was waiting for me to come outside and spray his personal bathing tree. So I did, and he left soon after, to where ever it is he goes for the day.


And now I need to be gone as well. Hot sauce cooking day!

Have a total Tuesday. Do something tantalizing.



2 comments:

  1. I LOVE these birds as well....my folks have alot out by their house....Ani birds....they have a very distinct call as well, and the coolest beak I've seen...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, it's confirmed, EVERYONE on Culebra knew what these birds are called but me...and now I (and the other six people who didn't know) know too!

    ReplyDelete