Thursday, January 21, 2010

A first, a new and a bad - and beauty follows

First: That mango that I took a photo of and posted the other day? Well, later that day I was showing it off and it fell into my hand, a pretty sure sign it was ripe. It's not a big mango, not like its parent seed, but the taste is all I could ask for after 7 years of waiting.



Yesterday when I was opening the cart, I'd just gotten to the part where I take out the third rehabilitated umbrella when Tuck came by and hands me a bag o' color. "Sue picked this up for you yesterday." WOW!!! The guy from the Chinese distributor (whom I'd written twice, trying to find this umbrella) wasn't kidding!

Dear Stark,
You probably can buy it from Sam's club in Puerto Rico next Month.
Happy New Year!
Best regards,

So once again I have my rainbow umbrella, all 8 circumfrual feet of it and hopefully it will last me another two years. If anyone else grabbed one from Sam's for me, bring it on, I'll stash one and sell any of the rest!



 On the way home I saw where someone has stupidly clear cut this hillside again. They obviously don't care about what happened last time when they did this and it rained and half of the dirt ran through the land and streets into the bay. I'm not sure yet who is responsible, but I'll find out. Someone ELSE who loves their wallet more than this island.



Without trying to be too Pollyanna-ish, the beauty is still everywhere around us on Culebra. For me this morning, beside my long awaited mango, are the banana trees, happily grabbing hold and thriving.



and this sea almond, going through every stage possible, as flora in the Caribbean can do sometimes...



"I see narrow orders, limited tightness, but will
not run to that easy victory:
       still around the looser, wider forces work:
       I will try
    to fasten into order enlarging grasps of disorder, widening
scope, but enjoying the freedom that
Scope eludes my grasp, that there is no finality of vision,
that I have perceived nothing completely,
       that tomorrow a new walk is a new walk."
 from Corsons Inlet by A.R. Ammons

6 comments:

  1. ah....it was a good day to enjoy your first ripe, juicy, wonderful mango...i'm so happy for you....oh, homegrown mango AND a new rainbow umbrella AND happy banana plants? a lot to be very grateful for....the little things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes...it's about the little things that are really, ultimately, the big things. Or I'd go crazier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re: the clear cut...How's everyones' Abbey reading coming?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have 2 feet of snow in our yard - just the sight of your cart(love the new umbrella) warms me up. I can't tell you how much I enjoy a bit of Culebra everyday reading your blog. Thank you for being such a loyal poster. Is the clear cut land in LaRomana? What are people thinking? Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's like reading about aquifers, while thirsting in the desert...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lynn, thanks! The cut is above Genesis Colmada. They are thinking about fast, easy, quick return.

    ReplyDelete