Friday, January 15, 2010

Back on track...Culebra style

Yesterday seemed like about four days in one. It started with my laptop cursor laughing at me, going every which way but where I wanted it to go until I gave up. Before I threw it out the door. Culebra teaches patience and I can be incredibly patient, but sometimes...I can't. So I went to the cart early, via the dinghy. It was nice until it rained. I was trying to hook up with Balloon John (aka Computer John, etc) to buy a mouse for the laptop and sort of got that going. Then I went to buy gas for the dinghy. I was going to just walk the container over but it was misty and I was already damp so decided to take the dinghy around.

Except, right behind the ferry, the engine died. I had every *sucked into the props* story instantly in my brain as a few security guards watched me in semi-entertained mode. rowing back to the pilings below the gas station. I climbed out, tied up the boat, threw out the anchor to keep the engine off the rocks. Climbed up said rocks. Filled up with gas, the whole time wondering what on earth would happen next, as the current was running strong and the ferry wasn't gone yet. So standing in the water I tried starting the engine (magical thinking = maybe it fixed itself while laughing at me) and it started! So into the blustery away I went and made it home just fine.

Chick Chick and her two chicks are settling in fine in the coop. Mama Teresa makes sure I'm being a good caretaker (what do I know about chickens!), so far so good. The three hens who run about the yard are sort of hanging out near the coop now. Maybe when the chicks are bigger I'll throw them in too!


John came over (where YOU live, does the computer dude walk to your house in the RAIN? I bet not, unless you live here) bringing a mouse, a USB quadropod thingy and some memory sticks. Along with staying around making sure they worked. Yes, he is a god. It was almost as good as a balloon birthday hat and I'm liking the mouse a lot...when I remember to use it!

After a couple of days steeped in awful with earthquakes and blood drives, it seemed like a good night to respond to a get together at Dinghy Dock. I wasn't wild about walking back in to town but then I didn't have to, as Greg was sailing over, right out of the yard. What's not to like? A good time was had by all and Milton and Grady sang and played, there and later, at Susie's where we somehow ended up. A ride home and I was out like the proverbial light, heart gladdened before the grimness had room to take over again for awhile.

Milton and Grady at Dinghy Dock

Walt looking contemplative

Ann & Taz looking like they are on the bow of the Titanic

Suzanne, who just makes me feel better seeing her smile

Joyce, Sue, Dave Ann, Taz, Tony and
Suzanne, who seems to be seriously searching for something!

Milton and Grady at Susie's
In case you are noting photos for when they become famous
(and of course you'd ask because you wouldn't steal photos off the internet, right?)
they've now been at the big three venues!

Today is rainy and windy and dare I say, somewhat gloomy. Except for these happy flowers! Rain won't stop many of us from taking our donated goods to the old gym across from Palmetto Guest house. Think need. Then fill your box. I think if you have a Tupperware style box it might be a good idea to use it, weather wise and recycling over there into whatever multiple uses a big plastic box could be used for, no doubt MANY things.

Here is the more official word. Thanks Nadeen, Pam and the many more who are pulling this together!!

The Municipality of Culebra will be collecting donations starting Friday morning and will continue to collect thru the weekend.
Articles should be placed in boxes and brought to the basketball court at Barriada Clark across from Palmetto Guest House.

Following are the various articles which can easily be sent -- please help even if it's a small amount.

* Women's clothing
* Sanitary napkins
* Solid laundry soap
* Men's clothing and socks
* Baby bottles
* Children's clothing - boys and girls
* Shampoo and bath coap
* Shoes - no high heels
* Razors
* Easy-open canned foods
* Over the counter medicines
* Aspirin/pain relief (analgesics)
* Anti-diarrea (pepobismol, imodium)
* Band-aids -- any size
* Alcohol prep pads
* Powdered milk
* Blankets and sheets
* Small and easy to handle toys with no small parts

I left out that I was supposed to meet up with Onne Van der Wal, one of the more brilliant marine photographers, who was staying on the Wanderbird with his wife, out in the bay. I met Onne about 25 years ago in Florida at a regatta and was excited to learn he would be in the Caribbean and on Culebra at that! But weather got in the way, so I just yelled out a hello when Greg and I sailed by. Maybe next time. Check out his photos, he's got the eye!

One more thing, even though we can't see it...today is the first annular eclipse of the new year and also the longest annular eclipse of the millenneum! Just thought you should know. Thanks, Jonny!

And who says nothing much ever happens on Culebra?

4 comments:

  1. at least you are not reporting on your veggie truck purchases.

    sorry about the mouse, and the dinghy, but glad you had a good time last night.

    p.s. it's very windy. and very rainy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never made it to the veggie guy...did take the dinghy in to buy ingredients for the Culebra cake (2nd order! Wooohooo!) and that was a wild, fun ride, and only got rained on a little bit. Engine worked fine. Mouse is fine. Everything is fine, how can I complain?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of all the ways to get from your place to the Dinghy, my all-time favorite would have to be as Walt's passenger.

    Complicating the Haiti relief effort, was the announcement I heard last evening on NPR asking that the world discontinue shipping mobile hospitals to the area. They are gridlocked in Port Au Prince and can't unpack the ones they have. I hope that Santiago will be allowed to land; it would certainly behoove him to check ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...that's a horrific thing about not sending more hospitals...unfortunately I can understand what's going on...I'm pretty sure Santiago and crew have the permission thing down. It's what will be going on when they actually get there...who knows. But if prayer is in your repertoire it would be a good time for it.

    ReplyDelete