Monday, January 18, 2010

Today is too many days

Today is Martin Luther King Day. It is also the day many on Culebra found out that Nydia, wife of Neil of Dinghy Dock, mother, grandmother, daughter, family member, friend, passed away yesterday evening. Services will be Wednesday at 1:00 at the Catholic church, viewing tomorrow all day. I can't really write about that except to say love and sorrow to the family, and for all of us who will miss her presence in our world. The blood drive is still on for Friday, so honor Nydia's memory and be there! Time and place will be announced.



On a lighter note, I got to see my favorite fantasy boy toy today and promised to post our photo on the blog so his girlfriend knows he's working hard...no that wasn't sand on his feet! See you both in February...bring lamb for me, and keep the tradition going (ask your father, he'll know).


There is a boat in the harbour today that looks very much like the one I worked on in Spain (and hurt my arm on, thus bringing me to Culebra). I had to detour on my dinghy ride home to get a closer look. While a sailor at heart, I do like this style of boat a lot...funny how life goes. If that plan had worked out, I'd just be returning from eight years around the world. Instead I'm here, where the world comes around me.


When I got home I was wandering around the soppy yard, enjoying the sun shining down after so many days in hiding. And this is what I saw. Here's to you, Nydia.






5 comments:

  1. So, so sad about Nydia. Love and prayers to the Romero and Perez families.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know how hard it is to put our pain into words...but you did it so well...as usual. and lets go yachting. that's the kind of boat i could take off on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend who owned and captained the boat in Spain emailed me this: "Emmee....that's a Nordhaven 47, good boat. Not nearly enough rust to be Tigress, although I do miss her.... a bit."

    Obviously, my memories of style are good, but reality...I've upgraded! As it should be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ..and now Nydia. That family needs a break. As do I. Two very close friends since Christmas, Haiti, this. Hard to fathom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, this year isn't exactly starting with much in its favor.

    ReplyDelete