Saturday, January 2, 2010

Brrrrr!!! It's cold this morning!

The cat almost mastered dragging the blanket off of me this morning, me clutching tightly, her gingerly clawing the fleece and pulling. After letting her win I got up, fed her and dove back into bed, convinced there would be ice on the bay this morning. But there isn't.

It almost looks like ice though, doesn't it?


I was reminded of a world I lived in once that held things like robes



and slippers...



and lots of pajamas!



I still have a few nightgowns, old and thin soft cotton that my aunt gives to me. She is 95 this month and will not let me leave her without a boatload of clothes that she gives all the women in the family. Dresses from Paris that are 50 years old, shoes from New York, simple, elegant nightgowns that have enough material for a circus tent, though she is a small woman. They are the sort of nightgowns that a movie star wakes up in (not a celebrity, a movie star).

And every year when certain catalogs come around, I *almost* buy myself some real pajamas, just to feel that special wash of memory that pajamas bring when you know you are getting dressed for bed (as odd as that sounds now). Usually sleep wear these days is a big t shirt or maybe not, depending on the level of heat. But this morning, it's cold. I want a robe, I want flannel jammies, I want slippers! I want to stay in bed, even as the sun comes out and begins to warm the day.

I think I just want to be five years old for a little while longer. Maybe it was a spell the moon cast while I slept...



...and maybe not.




14 comments:

  1. Pffffft. It was 5 friggin degrees at daybreak, here. Had to delay the eggs benedict planned for yesterday until this morning, thanks to spousal hangover...


    Here is a great recipe I found and used. I figure this is the perfect audience, since no island buff is without a blender.

    Easy Hollandaise Sauce

    Ingredients
    • 3 egg yolks
    • 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
    • 1 dash hot pepper sauce (know where we might find any?)
    • 1/2 cup butter
    Directions
    1. In the container of a blender, combine the egg yolks, mustard, lemon juice and hot pepper sauce. Cover, and blend for about 5 seconds.
    2. Place the butter in a glass measuring cup. Heat butter in the microwave for about 1 minute, or until completely melted and hot. Set the blender on high speed, and pour the butter into the egg yolk mixture in a thin stream. It should thicken almost immediately. Keep the sauce warm until serving by placing the blender container in a pan of hot tap water.

    Perfect flavor and consistency. Spooned it onto the top of the poached egg where it posed for the dictionary photo for "dollop".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! reminds me of the week of knee deep snow I just left in the mountains of NC, I wanted a fully lined Carhart "Onesy" but, found out if I grabbed the dry socks, and three t shirts, boots, and put a little rum in my coffee, I could get out there with no problem!(for a little while)

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least I know what to get you for your next birthday prezzie! You'll look adorable. The below is NOT the one you'll be getting. Unless someone buys a LOT of hot sauce and tee shirts!

    http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=10051&productId=32200&langId=-1&categoryId=10908

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doug, that sounds delicious, even if I don't like my eggs poached...toss a little hot sauce in there and yeah, baby! But I can understand that with a hangover the look of the sauce and the sound of the blender might not be a big hit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you will be begging me to load you flannel PJ's next summer....just wait and see. :) a PJ party with you will be mucho fun, i think. :))) and Doug and Jon can come play if they want...Doug you'll be on Hollandaise duty, and Jon, we'll think of something, but we need you in your soon-to-come overalls. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really hoping you meant loan...flannel pj's in summer...I'm getting scared now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. loan. load. all the same thing. and yes, flannel PJ's in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, awesome! I have all winter to look at catalogs and find some really great pj's! and socks...and...hmmmm, I'm getting nervous now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, MJ, it is hard for me to think that someone would like to have these (which I happen to be wearing now) flannel pj's on instead of hardly anything at all. Oh to have the warm Culebra breeze blowing on my bare legs...instead I have almost 2 feet of fluffy snow blowing at my door.
    BTW...brrrr is a relative term!
    Love the photo of the moon - you would not believe how many shadows are visible when there is a layer of the white stuff covering the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well June, it will be a novelty for me...and summer for you all! I've not been truly *cold* for a long, long time. Your word picture of moon shadows is so intriguing!!! I'll have to leave it for you and Laurie to do those shadows justice however. I'd be curled up in a ball in bed...whining. Can you take a photo and email me? I'd love to post one from you (doesn't have to be this full moon, any time that works for you is fine with me).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Will do, I'm picking up a new camera next weekend and am excited about taking pictures from an SLR instead of a point and shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What are you getting?? I'm looking a lot before I start my...support fund ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shop for those jammies online in the Spring, chica - lots of sales then! I have been shopping for shorts today, and am finding tons of bargains. I swear (in my best Southern accent), I don't understand how elastic goes bad here and EVERYthing gets inexplicably stained (no, I haven't spilled wine on every pair of shorts I own).

    ReplyDelete
  14. In the night, very fat chubacabra's come in your house and try on your clothes while eating all of your food. They are messy.

    ReplyDelete