Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Not the big island

I had all sorts of plans to go to the big island today for shopping. I was up on time. My list was ready. And then I started thinking about cleaning up my still branch strewn yard. About going out in the dinghy, just because I can, now that all the hoses are in place and it's running pretty again (thank you Francie, Mini Mas and Singing Doug). Maybe some fishing. And I waved good bye to the ferry, saving the trip for another day. There isn't really anything I need so badly right now. Then I got an email about chickens for my coop who will arrive tomorrow. So that is the numero uno project! Get the coop happy for them. Oh boy, here we go...

Dawn was so beautiful this morning, the almost waned sliver of moon so bright in a sky barely more blue than black. Photos are a joy, but they sometimes fall far short of what is actually seen with the eye. Maybe because some sights involve far more than the simple act of seeing, traveling below the skin into whatever one calls that place that swells up inside with an airy grandness until its release as a smile with no words. Well, no words I know, anyway!

All of that doesn't mean I won't try, though!

If I could just get the moon to look this big in the whole photo...well, you'd need one of those
ginormous flat screen televisions to see the whole thing...sort of like the sky, but different

Florida weather has gone crazy. Iguanas are falling out of the trees in Florida, semi-dead. Fish farmers are losing their food and exotic fish. Citrus trees, strawberries and other crops are being lost. In central Florida right this minute, it is 28 degrees. That's Fahrenheit, not Celcius. Yep, crazy. And expensive. Plan on a)paying a lot more for your citrus and strawberries or b)grow your own.

Anyone living in the tropics who hasn't got at least a few trees capable of giving them something to eat is a puzzle to me. It's not even like gardening...plant a tree, tend it awhile and then let it take care of itself for the most part. Then get free food from it. What is easier than that? Even growing your own food isn't rocket science. And guess what? At D's nursery, she has strawberry plants! Already started...you just have to provide a place for them. I highly recommend using a container to grow them. How? There are many sites you can google to find out, rather than me explaining it to you. Here is one of them that keeps it as simple as it really is. Give it a try; they can be grown in anything from a cleaned out plastic liter bottle to a fancy strawberry pot. It's fun, it's rewarding and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than buying them!



George McConnell (1852 - 1929)

17 comments:

  1. Your photos are beautiful. I love your thought about some sights involving more than seeing... it's so true. I always feel that way about our Culebra photos. Can't wait till we have a house on our little piece of land and can see these sights when I wake up in the morning. One or two trips a year is not enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!! I just got off the phone with an architect/builder friend of mine from St. John, whom I'm trying to convert to the idea of Tiny Houses...I think a big stickler for building these days is somehow people have the notion they need a McMansion, and really, they can have something beautiful and simple and small and AFFORDABLE to help make their dreams come to reality...good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. chickens!!! coop!!!! Can we have a Coop Fiesta to Welcome the Chickens Party? oh how exciting!!!!!!!!!

    and fyi, and for you to figure out oh wise weather woman, the sunrise was not even a photograph worthy this morning....go figure.

    and when can i expect the first crop of juicy Island Woman strawberry hot jelly?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh the pressure!!! I don't know what to answer first but I do know what to ask last...strawberry HOT jelly? Strawberry PEPPER jelly? Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love your blog, you're a terrific writer :) I hope you're thinking about writing a book about your adventures and your life on Culebra.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks...what nice strokes today! Everyone who ever wrote a word that has been published has had the thought of a book cross their mind...from thought to action is the leap. But I live on Culebra, and should know anything can happen...so maybe that will too...one day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You write the book, we'll buy it! (That was me by the way before I got my ID to show) Steve and I used to joke about him writing sort of tell-all book about his decade on the island... but figured it would incriminate too many people (including him :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Including him? Let's talk one of the ringleaders here! Anyway, it would take a lot of the fun out of coming back to visit if no one would talk to him.

    Lisa, one of these days I'll go up to my bro's cabin for an extended stay and see if a book emerges...if it can't happen there, it can't happen anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  9. MJ, I suppose you're right. Steve's book project officially nixed! (And...when you DO go to the cabin...we'll pop in to say hi, to kick off your writing. It's only an hour & a half away, we couldn't not!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun would that be! Well, I'll need him for some authentication...he'll get credits!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, the weather has gone nutty. It was colder in some places in Florida a day ago than it was here in Vermont. Yes, nutty.
    I love looking at the Culebra moon because the perspective is different up here. Yes, I'll send a picture!
    Oh, I hope you have some strawberries growing in a pot outside your door!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I keep forgetting to invite you to my blog, MJ http://designinginlife.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. June, when the strawberries are on, you'll see them here...while I await your photo(s)!

    ReplyDelete
  14. thank goodness the book thing got nixed on so many levels. :))))

    and yes, Strawberry Hot Jelly -- to die for. especially with a little cream cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, no McMansion for us. Our plan is to build a little place that fits right in our La Romana neighborhood. Not only do we want it to be affordable, we don't want to spend all of our time in Culebra doing maintenance and housework. Not when there's so much snorkeling to be done! For some reason my account isn't working - that's why I'm anonymous. LaMadre/Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  16. Interesting concept...sounds tryable!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lynn,

    That seems to be a problem sometimes with blogger...if I can help, let me know. And I like your thinking!

    ReplyDelete