Monday, January 25, 2010

I'm on Culebra time

This is considered the start of the week in many places, even here. But for me, the days sort of have a roller coastery rhythm that lets Monday be Thursday or Friday (hardly ever Sunday). Most of the time time itself isn't much of a factor in my world, unless I've told (or been told by) someone that I will be somewhere at some time. Luckily, I'm rarely the only one going where ever that is, so by mid-morning, any forgetfulness on my part is usually taken care of by street talk. I'm not going anywhere with this, by the way. I've got the time. And I've got the muffins...today is ginger-carrot with, unusually for me, cream cheese frosting. If it's not raining today...I'll be at the cart for you muffin requesters!

Here are a few catch up photos (and the idea of catching up, which is what spawned the above mini diatribe).

Lobsters at Susie's - I have a little video where you can hear them
click clicking and waving their tentacles about, but right in the middle, a car alarm goes off - making it a bit too Felliniesque for my taste


Chiquitine up a tree, way up a tree, sawing off limbs


This little girl visits me most days. Her grin makes my heart defy gravity,  and she accompanies it with just as strong a stubborn streak. She rides in her little battery operated car down the sidewalk with her abuella beside her. After undoing her seat belt she solemnly climbs up on the cart ledge and looks (stares unblinkingly) at me until I give her a muffin. Or a bracelet. Or merely a grin, it just depends. Then she will or will not smile this fabulous smile, climb back down, get back in her car and go home. I wish I could let her be the ambassador to the world. To resist her smile would prove the viewer not human and replaceable.  Maybe one day she will let me photograph her smiling. You can tell she was NOT letting that happen here. She got a muffin anyway.


The owners of this dog (and another that was too normal to photograph) were heading toward Milka's. I called out to someone to look and asked if he knew what happened to the rest of this dog. On the way back the owners nicely accused me of making fun of their dog, which I happily confessed to. Yes, it really IS part Dalmatian and part Basset Hound. They had a combo name for it but I forget what it is. I'm still laughing...
it was like seeing a photoshopped picture in real life.


Last night I was out of Susie's a bit early and heading home heard the sounds of live music coming from El Batey. I'd forgotten that the Sons of Culebra were going to be playing there so it was a great time to stop and listen. Dominoes clicked on the patio and the Sons clicked inside. Sax, guitar, steel drums, güiro, steel pans, what I'm pretty sure
was a cuatro and more...they had it going on


With a cold front moving through, it isn't the prettiest of early morning moments and with the radar down, I can't tell much about what is coming or not coming our way. The sky is grey and bright and it has already rained a bit, is that all? What I do know is that my tea is more than ready and the baking is done, so it might be time to climb back under the covers and finish another chapter or two...CWIM is too temptingly already there like a poster cat for cozy.

No comments:

Post a Comment