Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Days go by

The other night we went to the famous Young's Lobster Pound for dinner. Never heard of it? Me neither but now that I've been there, I get it. Located on Belfast Harbor (NOT the ocean, as Sean informed me while we were on the phone - the ocean is 21 miles away...sure looks like the ocean though!) at the end of a wharf, it sits like a clean warehouse of all things shelled and eaten by humans. The critters are kept in huge tanks that are constantly getting a fresh intake of sea water. Clams, crabs, oysters, mussels, sure, but the star of the show is the lobster, which fly out of there in massive proportions. You can order a 'lobster, chips & butter' of your size choice and are given a number. The numbers called out over the loudspeaker can be, in this order...."Number 20, your lobster is ready." "Number 348, your dinners are ready". This is the most cool BYOBetc. I've ever seen. People come with their own booze, but also their own side dishes. I saw rice pilafs and potatoes and salads, set on tables holding spots for family groups, even a table cloth for one crew. Good food, decent prices, great setting, brilliant idea!

Salt water intake for the tanks


Weighing clams

NOT land crabs!!!

Views from upstairs


My dinner!


On the way back to Boothbay, we stopped by that may seem like a belly idea to many. This place has been around a long time. It's out in the middle of nowhere, albeit really pretty nowhere. They make their own sauerkraut and pickles of all kinds, along with selling all sorts of gourmet cookies, candies and condiments (pretty slick on the alliteration there, eh?).
The owner guy keeps some weird dogs that creeped me out, but he was really personable and interesting, so that balanced. Sort of. The store/cafe is WELL worth a visit - just ignore the dogs.




 After a work day truncated by rain and heat, we had a picnic dinner at Ocean Point. I hadn't been there before and it is now one of my favorite places so far...big sky and lots of water - I think I was jonesing and didn't quite know it.

 Herring gull (no, that's not blood or my wine, just a marking)






My soul got a refill.

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh, the Peruvian Hairless dogs, they are long known as a cure for rhuemetism, and healers, its actually because since they have no hair, the can sniggle up on you and the heat thats given directly off their skin is like a heating pad. Also known as the "Lolly-Pop Dog" because if you lick them they taste just like...well, I'm just joking about that part, but had ya goin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, you just had me feeling a little sick before my first cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete