Saturday, July 17, 2010

Oh what a night

Yesterday after work we took the drive from Boothbay to Old Orchard Beach which is one of those classic Fun Fair sort of towns that line the East Coast. The ones with the ticky tacky tourist shops and at the beach end of the main drag have a ferris wheel and arcades with honky tonk music spilling out like popping corn escaping from the pan. I knew the one in Daytona Beach best growing up and still can smell the cotton candy we weren't allowed to have...and feel the shudder of thrill from the rides we were allowed to swoop over the sea on...or so it felt. So I liked Old Orchard Beach right away.

Just a note: On the way there, Phil pointed out this houseboat, or one just like it!, heading down the road. I immediately fell in lust with it...sometimes you just KNOW. We only saw it a few seconds, but long enough to read its website address, oldhouseparts.com on the side. So we looked it up and it sounds like a really diverse, aware and talented company. Check it out!

Incredibly cool house boat! Link to see the building of it

But back to why we went to OOB. We went because a really good friend of mine from my years on St. Croix happened to be in Maine playing a gig with his friend Allison Violet at JJ's Eatery, JJ's is a block from the beach and right next to the railroad tracks. RIGHT next to them. Michael and Allison sang a few train songs as the trains came through. It was pretty jump up and down experiential hollering WOO WOO for me and Michael, as trains don't run through Culebra or St. Croix, but maybe less neat when you are playing music...


Michael (who spent some time on Culebra; some of you met him) is nearly as close to me as my brother, who is my best bud, so seeing him was a great treat. Plus I love to hear him play and sing. I think Phil and Laurie enjoyed it too. Or...enjoyed seeing the grin I couldn't get off my face...Thanks for the drive, you two!

Love you, Michael!

Now it's time for tea. Have a sated Saturday. Do something soul soothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment