Sunday, July 18, 2010

Rockland and Carrageenan

While we were at the Blues Festival, I learned a little bit about the plant across the street from our hotel. No, not a plant with flowers, but an industrial plant, on some very pricy waterfront real estate.


Rockland is a working town, more hardy than hip, though there is a hip element permeating the main street and yearly events; increasingly, word is getting out. Just the festival itself is already a 17 year old event.

Art galleries, book stores (is it the winters? there are more bookstores in Maine than I've ever seen anywhere...drive down any road and out of nowhere will be a big old barn or a little tiny shack with a Used Books! sign on it), eateries, brew pubs - oh, there are enough microbreweries going on in Maine that I almost wish I liked beer - cool gift shops, wonderfully preserved architechture, antique shops by the handful with some good stuff in them! Point being...Rockland is hipping up.

Which has nothing, or maybe it does, to with the plant. The seaweed processing plant. The plant that turns seaweed from around the world into carrageenan. Yes, carrageenan. If you read your food labels, and I surely hope you do, you've seen it before and if you don't know what it is, you've probably figured it can't be good for you. Guess what? It's natural! It's seaweed! It's...well, let someone who knows tell you.

"Carrageenan is a natural thickening agent used in a startling variety of food products including toothpaste and ice cream. Its unique medicinal properties could become a weapon in the battle against AIDS."

This quote comes from an article I won't even try to paraphrase, but it is about the history of the plant, how it affects the economy and of course, what always catches my interest is that it is the last of its kind in the US. So if things like that interest you, check out the article from the blog The Working Waterfront.

Warning: personal rant ahead  
That is the mystery - why it is in Rockland, and why its staying, when so many businesses with the same complexities have been *outsourced* - I hate that word, how about sold out by Americans screwing Americans so Americans can pay a few bucks less for a product...while being unemployed by the very company they are buying the product from...oh, is that harder to say than *outsourcing*?

Rant over...for now

I really liked this guy's hat...Laurie told me he's someone important musically, but I only know he didn't mind letting me take a shot of him in his hat with a smile on. Thanks, dude!

6 comments:

  1. As one who took a nibble of the outsource pie in 2000-2001,(sold offshore IT) I can tell you that it served as a vivid lesson to me on why I am a lousy capitalist. My friends and business associates - nice middle class folk - started being "right-sized" as their jobs were being done in Bangalore, not pushed up the ladder, as the Globalization shills promised. Being one who needs plenty of sleep at night, I was soon right-sized, myself. Ironically, two levels of management above me ended up the same way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doug, I can only imagine how many more know of your story from their own experiences. When the hand that feeds you bites you instead, it seems more people would take a look at that rather than some of the inflamed imaginary issues...but it doesn't work like that very often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re the egg thing; impunity has resulted in population wide affects on migratory species. Protection in one site alone does something to protect but does not contribute significantly to protection of the species. Oh well, just could not keep my mouth shut on this one. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something is better than nothing, eh? Gotta move it forward and don't keep your mouth shut anytime! (Hope you read the whole article!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did. Beautiful. I'm just frustrated. Birds that I followed and loved for many years...where are they. Hopefully we can get some money to track the Sooties or Bridleds from Culebra. If so, then it is a go! And not for nothing: if you know their migratory route then you have a handle on how to address their protection throughout the route.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terry, these are frustrating times for humans and animals/fowl/fish. Glad there are people like you and others I know working to understand and report what is going on so as to move on to working on answers.

    ReplyDelete