Saturday, July 3, 2010

This must be Rockport

The other day we passed through Rockport on our way back from the country. Phil and Laurie both had things they wanted me to see, the harbor with its wonderful old boats and a bookstore that basically only sold books on photography, books both old and new.

(this photo has nothing to do with anything in this post - it's some lamb's wool skeins from the Farmer's Market on Thursday...and they were too beautiful to leave on the cutting room floor - ok, moving on)

The road to the harbor passes the Maine Media Collage before dropping down to the waterfront. But while Laurie was telling me about that, on the right side of the road was an old house being swarmed by craftsmen and builders (and swarm they must, the season for building outdoors is short), the entrance area portico, a downward sweeping semi circle, being sheathed in copper, along with a portion of the roof. As my eye and brain were trying to communicate what I was seeing, we were already alongside the place, where other workers were setting massive rocks in place at the corners of the property, in a way that would appear almost natural when they were done. I think.

But there, right ahead, and below, was the harbor! A few wooden boats and a schooner tied up here, another there. Of course there were regular sports boats but the beauties stood out. We just made a drive by, and at the turn around place I finally had the presence of mind to ask for a photo taking moment.

Some amazing stone work

Right beyond the foot bridge (above) you come to these stone ovens, 
which, Phil told me, were used to make concrete out of limestone, back in the day

We came back up the hill and parked. Phil stayed content overlooking the water and boats while Laurie and I went into the bookshop. I say shop because it was much more a shop than a store, which you understand the moment you enter. Though it was a bookshop not in the least bit cluttered, it also didn't feel exactly orderly - more a feeling than a reality -  and it was easy to enjoy. You can go for a literal look around the store, if you like. The shop is arranged a bit differently now and Timothy, the owner, looks like he's dropped about 100 pounds from whenever this was shot, but the feeling is the same.

While Laurie was perusing the books, I was intrigued with the table/desk at the store front. It was covered in arty buttons, lying randomly in piles, next to a few necklaces on a stand - necklaces with hammered silver back and photographs inset in old camera lenses. There were clam shells with photographs inside them as well, almost hokey but the photos were good and integrated with the shell enough that it worked. And behind the counter/desk/table thing was the man who has made this all happen, working away at his button making machine. Timothy Whelan. Timothy responds to questions like your mother's favorite younger brother, the uncle who was all sorts of interesting and who never made you feel silly, even if you were. He is a natural story teller and about as helpful as I've ever imagined any shop keeper being because I think that is just his natural demeanor, inside or outside the shop. We talked about the button machine, about the other artist/photographers who made the jewelry and shells and other cool stuff on his desk, as well as the economy both here and at home. The same, by the way; not very good. But if that is why we happened to find Timothy with time to chat, I'll take it for the good side. Obviously I liked the guy a lot. Apparently I am not the only one.

And by the way, this very well known purveyor of knowledge and books, revered by famous professional photographers as well as pedestrian book lovers, doesn't have a web page. How can I not admire that???

Sorry for the lack of photos - it was all sort of a sensory whirl. I did come away with a button though! Anyone who knows me well enough to know my love of chaney will recognize something familiar...

We are off very soon to head to Massachu MA to Tanglewood for the James Taylor and Carole King concert tonight! WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, I'm excited. But I'm leaving my computer at home so won't be posting anything until Sunday or Monday. Then you'll get more than you want. It's going to be a beautiful drive, the weather is good and I am ready to ride.

Have a great weekend! Have fun at the 4th of July party, of course I wish I was there. Would SOMEONE take some photos and send them to me please??

Freedom is good. Get off your comfort zone and enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment