Thursday, July 1, 2010

Fistulina hepatica - some call it beefsteak

Ah, the wonder of the  fistulina hepatica (which sounds a bit kinky, but...that may just be me). It is also sometimes known as beefsteak fungus, or ox tongue, take your strange name pick. There we were, wandering the forest, quite unlike nymphs, when they caught my eye off to the left. Weirdly, or not, they were the only ones we saw today but oh were they bold. So...I went a little crazy with the camera and the results follow. The article on them says they are edible, but being my mycophobic self, I quite easily denied myself the pleasure of checking out what is said to be a "sour, somewhat acidic flavor" in lieu of waiting for a garlic bagel and lox with jalapeno cream cheese (thanks, Phil, good choice!) for breakfast later on. Crazy, I know. But after reading the article, I do sort of want to go back and cut it open to see the "sanguineous red juice that complements the thick, veined flesh" - who wouldn't?

Before we saw the beauty above, we came across some red mushrooms. I haven't identified them truly, first because I'm not even this ( ) close to being a student of mycology, and second, because I really didn't get super close and look under them (I think Laurie did!). They 'might' be what's called a red waxy cap mushroom...some illustrations look like them and others don't. Or they might be one of these...me no know. If some reader does know, clue me in. All I know is, they were a striking color on the pine needles. Even so, I didn't want to eat them either.


Oh how I wish there was a scratch 'n sniff with this, because every once in awhile came along a super puff of fresh pine and old needles and mossy rocks that came whoofing up the nose and I want to share it with you...don't even think about that pine tree shaped air freshener thing.



Rock, Water (paper is in the birch bark - I have to save something for later!)

A little water and light magic made the rock's reflection a clear pool of oh my god wow
(not photoshop, this is Nature's real deal)

Ok, now for the mushroom series...if you are bored already, come back tomorrow!

The other side of the tree stump...yes! there are more!



Are you hungry yet?

Ok, MJ, enough with the freaking mushrooms!

I have no idea what these wildflowers are...except pretty

Last and least but still awe making, for me anyway, was this perfect ending. For now.

2 comments:

  1. The pictures you posted look more like a species of Ganoderma than Fistulina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! I’m not educated enough to say differently but in looking that up, it sure could be.

      Delete