Friday, August 21, 2015

Free Range Friday ~ Summertime Salad

Salad. What's not to like, unless you are one of those people who don't like green things, in which case, move along, there's nothing for you to see today. 

While salad might not seem too exciting, this one was for me because everything it in (both times) was organic. Big deal? Oh yes, when you come from a place where that choice doesn't exist unless you grow it yourself or have some good connections with gardening friends or on the big island where organic foods are fairly easy to come by. So, one person's not a big deal becomes another person's (me, in this case) very big deal!

Wandering around like a kid with a gift certificate at Toys R Us, I totally forgot to buy onions, a big one on my list because not having onions  - is like not having garlic around, or water. It's easy to get distracted in the playground of US markets, so while I could have added lots of other things, it was a keep it simple salad. Just so.


Organic romaine, grape tomatoes, cucumbers, sharp cheddar cheese
The dressing was simple as well, olive oil, rice vinegar, salt, pepper and a dash of Old Bay Seasoning. It's not just for shrimp and crabs!

A walk after lunch brought me to this plant. I don't know what it is but the leaves were so perfectly and unusually shaped, I have to share it.


Thank you, Mother Nature, for this beautiful design
Since the salad was large and my lunch appetite was not, salad for dinner with the addition of some (organic!!!) chicken breast would do just fine. The heat of cooking almost dissuaded me, but it was time to use that chicken. 


Sautéed in dash of soy, some marsala wine and garlic. Of course.

Cook until browned

How I store the cutting board next to my rusty topped stove.
I've tried a lot to remove the rust, but it isn't working.
The stove does work though, so it's a keeper for now.


As I was cooking, the Turtle filled up with some amazing light. Looking out the window, I could see why. 


This is looking to the north; the light was everywhere

Okay, back to prepping. I like food to be bite sized, so while the presentation
may not be as dramatic, it's a lot easier to eat.

A glass of wine, a salad, cooler temperatures. I'm all good. 
Being lazy and by myself, instead of transferring this to a smaller bowl, I thought I'd just eat from the work bowl. The rest could be put away for today. But it all got eaten, down to the smallest bit of cheese. Ooops! Ah well, there's more of all of that. 

Buen provecho!

Option: if I'd had the choice, the chicken would have been grilled. The smokiness would have been a great additional flavor. Somewhere along the way I might pick up a small grill. Or not. It definitely would have been some seriously hot grilling. Of course, sweat is salty, so it might have been a good thing too.

Have a falling fahrenheit of a Friday. Do something frigorific.

p.s. Tomorrow is take off day! Let the games begin. Roll on, little Turtle, roll on.

2 comments:

  1. One of my favorite salads is spinach with chopped apple, crasins, almond slices, with a dressing of oil, mustard, water and a touch of maple syrup. Also a whole meal in itself. Those cherry tomatoes and some feta would add to it, I think. And again your sunset is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think I don't like fruits in my salad, but then when I have one, I do!

      It was a crazy sunset...no bands of color, just this sky and air infusion of color. It's happened at home a few times, pink, once purple. I don't know what it means but it's an awesome phenomena.

      Delete