Tuesday, March 10, 2009

End of the day


It was a long, long day. But not a bad day! I'm posting here what I put on face book for friends who wanted an update. But I'll post some pics here as well...if I stay awake long enough! This photo is the leading photo of the Terruno folk, which never got past this first insulting screen asking Why, Villa Turruno? and at the bottom, large and small benefits for the community... Take a look at the brown part of the photo, roads built, land scraped - isn't that pretty?...that is what has been done against the law with no permits. before they've even gotten permission to do a thing...this is THEIR photo!!!! Can we say balls-o-rama? Why ask why?

Just pat the butt cheek with the wallet in it. Please sign on the dotted line. Isn't Culebra beautiful? Let's wreck it, trick investors into thinking they will be loved and love the island they are destroying while they are told big stories about the money they will make (hello! look at Costa Bonita!), and make a fortune while living happily in San Juan where we don't hear or care about what is going on on Culebra that we have created! Yee haw!

As the man who created the Greatest Show on Earth famously said: "There's a sucker
born every minute."
Please don't let it be the Terruna (or any of the other TWELVE project developers who would rape Culebra and investors) you! There are wonderful opportunities to own a home here on Culebra. I'll be happy to steer you in the right direction of a reputable realtor if you want a dream of living here to come true.

It was a long day. Fast version. State guys didn't get there til late. Then sound didn't work, then said it wasn't happening because it couldn't be recorded (law). Lots left. Then, surprise! Found sound. Those who stayed called those who left. State guys were decent, gave a break, a slow talk, a long break. More came back. Then a wording on 'commercial' became important, as it wasn't in the original proposal. Meeting cancelled until worked out. March 18/19 (I think). Good guys win to fight another day. Keep pumping up the volume. Nowhere CLOSE to emails being read, sorry!

I took over 200 photos today...and I've only been through a few of them. Truth, I'm sort of wrung out. So here are a few, on this - as I found out when I got home in the dark and lovely zone - full moon night.

The Dream Team

"It's just a very small 'service' area....6000 square feet." Boo hiss!

Excuse me, I think I'll tell the truth about what you just said...(a private lawyer hired by a private citizen of Culebra...if I had the money, I'd help pay the bill, he was great!)

What else needs to be said? A lot, apparently

Don Monchin, former mayor, one of the big players in removing the Navy from bombing the homes and lives of Culebra, a worthy legend in his own time

Generation faces of those who have fought for Culebra to stay true

What I came home to...a full moon, the water, peace and tranquility...which is all most of us who live here want & why we call this home

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for standing in for us, MJ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scary part was that I pretty much understood what was being said...kind of exciting on one hand, but not so exciting that I've heard this stuff enough that I am beginning to understand the Spanish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so saddened to hear about this. My family feels a deep connection to Culebra (remember Lola and Lucy at your cart, Island Woman?) and I can't believe that some people are not listening to all of the news/signs that are out there about how we need to step back, not spend and save and enjoy the precious environmentally pristine spots like your beloved island.
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  4. And that's worth fighting for...so we do! Words expressing feelings like yours help a lot; thank you for putting them here and helping pass them along.

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s. And love to Lola and Lucy from Island Woman!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job Sis, I'm so proud of you for keeping this in the online news, I know personally how just this type of thing is whats RUINED our South Florida, and there is not much room for MISTAKES of this magnitude on Culebra, its a tiny island with no room for any more unbalanced wreckless development. I love your tiny slice of life there and wish you luck in "Saving Whats Left!" Bring out the Torches and Pitchforks, blast ye!

    ReplyDelete