Thursday, March 12, 2009

Tidying up

Since it's THURSDAY I thought I'd do a few cleaning chores of posts past. Newest news of much import...there will be no March meeting concerning the Terruno / Dubon project. Apparently the discrepancy in the wordage was so serious, the planning board is requiring the project to completely start over again in submitting their proposal. Yes, it is a bit hard to type while jumping up and down... The word is they may be ready by June...of course that is a time a lot of the winter people will be gone, but we'll see what happens. Maybe they will decide that it truly is NOT a wanted or needed thing here on Culebra (and maybe pigs fly). So now I'll concentrate on getting that pesky hummingbird to sit still for a decent photograph. I'm pretty sure he and his sistren and brethren are taunting me, darting hither and yon, practically in my face...as long as I don't have the camera in my hands. It's a mission now.

While another cold front is moving in on us, much to the bewilderment of locals AND tourists who are feeling chilly, the sun shines during the day making for beautiful beach weather. Even when the clouds moved in, it was pretty perfect. This morning, waiting for my ride in with Linda and standing slightly up the hill, the water of the bay was shimmering. I took a blind photo and it's close to what I was seeing - outside the lens.

It was a funny sort of day of connections. A couple of couples came by, one couple with two children, Vivian and Charles. Charles, the older child, was a bit reserved but Vivian was quite articulate in discussing her desire for a particular treat of the day. Her parents told me they were neighbors of the delightful Lola and Lucy - and equally nice parents of course. As they chose various things to buy we chatted and the thought went through my mind that where ever the neighborhood is that they live, it must be quite wonderful. Bright, funny, interesting, polite kids, and pretty decent adults with them...I could imagine street parties, mother's groups...all of those things I hardly ever think about from a time in my life long ago when I was a part of that kind of world. I hope they all come back year after year (or so) to let me watch their children grow. Another couple is here that are mutual friends with a family that lived here a few years and then moved back to the states. What - or more correctly, who - next?

Chris Goldmark, of fly and deep water fishing fame - continues to branch out, making some very cool art bits out of wood. I have no idea what he's calling these whimsical fish, but I better get a chance to sell some because they are extremely cool. Check out Butiki for them at the moment...more soon come! I'll take pictures, I promise.

Huge drumroll...Benny showed up and the chicken coop is finished! Well...close enough to call it, in my opinion. I did re-do the door with my handy dandy little drill - call me wacky but hinges should be on the edges of things, right? But I've got doors on the chick area, a big door on the hen/nesting area, nesting boxes...I'm rockin' here! Now all I need are chickens...it is decision time. Day old chicks that I need to raise for six months or big girls ready to start giving me golden yoked brown eggs toot sweet? I still haven't decided. But I will within the...month. In the meantime I will paint all the recycled wood one harmonious color - well, a harmonious color would be of the camo variety and I'm not that talented. Unless going a little crazy with brown and green spray paint...hmmm. Stay tuned.

And the garden keeps giving me joy...peppers of different varieties are ripening while others are still in the new cycle of growth. The tomatoes are coming along. Mint, basils, things I don't even know what they are...everything is very much alive alive O! Glory. Now...if either of the avocado trees would just bloom - I'm so damn greedy!


4 comments:

  1. Oh no. I got so wrapped up in the animal farm next door to me, I forgot to say Congratulations Culebra for making the bozos start over on their proposal! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok, as much as I can, I'm dancing in the living room. I don't know which piece of news is most exciting. Of coarse the hearing is great (although i hope they don't purposely manuever to hold it in the summer to avoid the winter folk. Just an idea, before they leave for the year, if they wrote notorized statements to be read at any hearing?

    and then we have THE chicken coop!!! oh weeeeeeeeeeee!! babies of coarse -- how cute would that be?

    and Goldmark Art, Inc. We definately need to see pictures.

    and i want an avocado.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good news, indeed. I tried to contact the dream team, but a full voicemail box - not hard to understand - kept me at bay. I'd think a no brainer between now and the next meeting would be a cease and desist order for any further grading or digging on the property; it could be backed up by a complaint against the permitless stuff already done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last I heard today...their lawyer got with *our* lawyer and said they aren't going to fight it, but have not yet formally withdrawn. Until then, we'll assume the meeting on the 18th could possibly still be on. Otherwise, it could be two months to two years before anything happens. So, it's all a waiting game - no standing down yet. I'll keep news posted as soon as I know it. But right now? It's a good day for Culebra.

    ReplyDelete