Thursday, March 5, 2009

Rainy Thursday

Waking up to rain I thought I might stay home. But as soon as my ride was well down the road, the sun came out. At the cart I sat through a couple of misty rain showers and enjoyed the coolness. All the banana muffins were sold. a few other things made their way into bags and parcels as gifts, and the sky darkened more.

I was walking with a woman who is camping here on the way home, through a light misty rain. The hills were shrouded in mist and it seemed heavier rain must be coming, but it kept holding off. Until I turned the corner by Happy Landing and down it came. It was only on the edge of cold, but it seemed a long way from home and the only traffic going by were trucks; all of the sane people I know were tucked in at home or work or a dry bar stool.

Lucky for me, Angel was sitting outside of his house (under a shelter, yes) and called to me to come over and he'd give me a ride home. We waited for the rain to let up some - I might have been soaked but no need for him to be the same. In minutes we could go. That feeling we don't get here often - to be soaking wet from rain, chilly and then home and into dry. I wanted to be six years old, rolling around on a thick, fluffy towel and a sister combing my hair. But instead I got into something warm all by myself before I 'go to get sick, can't work and die' as Angel so succinctly put it. He added he'd miss me. Old softy!

The pelicans were diving like mad in the rain and as it let up more I got to take a few (ok, I'm lying - more than a few) shots.

With dusk, the temperature is dropping and my hands and feet are getting cold, so I'm going to finish this up and find some socks...or better, climb under the blanket with a good book and some tea. Cambric tea or herbal? Decisions, decisions.

A rainy day and night...rare, lovely and good for every little and big thing in my world.







p.s. Quick update on my road rage rant...some attempts seem to have been made to do a bit more on the concrete issue. Steel plates were put over some of the major mess in front of Casa Ensenada. Yes, we notice. It does make a difference.

p.p.s. Elaboration on the woman who decided to go unprepared on a dangerous swim and found out (as have we all) you can make stupid decisions and the angels will still watch over you...apparently the couple left island quick like bunnies (so I heard...they could be staying in, who would know?). But something good has come of it. Veronica, of the police dept. is going to work on putting together a civilian emergency response team that has some organization to it for situations like this (thankfully, though all too real, they are rare). I immediately thought of pictures I've seen of the Scottish coast guard stations...

In my mind, it would be a lovely gesture for this woman, who had people all over this island in prayer and worry for her, to be the first to make a major contribution to this team in the form of say...some money to help out on the fuel costs for the numerous guys who took their boats out and searched quite awhile. Anyone wanting to sponsor this should get in touch with Veronica at the police station. I'm sure a thank you note could be sent there as well...

No comments:

Post a Comment