Monday, March 16, 2009

Tads and dabs

For a day that started out in glorious fashion, it turned grey and cold early on and never really got back up to par. If I didn't believe in global warming before, I'd have to now as my always counted on formula of 'close the cart due to rain, make the sun come out again' isn't working. I could swear by it for years! It did get sunny nice for a bit but soon it was grey once more and down came the much needed though little wanted during the day time rain. Yes, the gardens are wildly happy.

The birds were acting insanely happy. I wondered if I'd wandered into a Hitchcock movie. Pelicans were doing their normal ballet, but there were also a lot of gulls and frigate birds. Even little sandpipers and ruddy turnstones were zipping around like frenzied pinballs. This one frigate bird actually got a little bit scary. It must have flown DIRECTLY over my head 25 times...and that might be a low number. I kept expecting to get a little plop of poop and kept my mouth shut just in case, but that didn't happen. It was so close (how close was it, MJ?) that it filled up my viewfinder many times, completely blacking it out.

Slightly scary frigate bird...

Gull in mid-dive (they skim the water rather than entering head first)

Three guys were in a flats boat casting their nets for bait on a shallow edge down the bay. Between them and the birds I was entertained for about an hour until the wind came up cold and filled with rain mist, moving me inside. A nice warm bowl of spaghetti and sauteed chicken with a still sun warm sliced tomato was perfect (ok, I'm lying...the tomato was room temp, which made it SEEM sun warmed). The cast net boys didn't look like the weather was phasing them at all.

One net blue net

Two net white net

Bing! I love the circle splash of a well thrown cast net


From Coralations, the word has come in that the March 18/19 Terruno meeting is officially cancelled with a signed and stamped order. "They will re apply with proper commercial and adjacent property notifications to all." and that is the story as of now. Yes, you may do a cartwheel for now!

I read a great list today. Some of it is not applicable to Culebra of course, but enough is and it's a good enough list that I thought I'd share it. It comes from ecosalon.com which looks to be a fun and interesting blog to peruse. Sometime. But for now, check out the list...

Broke? 20 Fun Things to Do Without Spending a Dime

You don't even have to be broke for it to do you good. So turn off the computer and go do something!

2 comments:

  1. Always be wary of the friggin' frigates.

    And while it's very good that the project is derailed, that little phrase "they will re-apply" should tell us all not to let down our guard. If anything, the bad guys now know they better dot their i's and cross their t's. The good guys will need to use the interim to muscle up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes...that's why I added that section, but it's good to make it even more clear. It's not over by a long shot (unfortunately).

    ReplyDelete